3│LET'S GO CRAZY

Start from the beginning

"Think of it as a personal announcement that I'm coming for you," the redhead teased her. They fell into silence after that until she spoke again a few moments later: "so. . . aren't you gonna ask me how my first Halloween in Hawkins went?"

"No."

Max stopped for a second in surprise before she resumed walking. "What? Why not?"

"Because I don't care," the brunette answered simply.

". . .ooo-kaaay," she said slowly. "I scared your friends, you know. You should have seen the looks on their faces, it was so funny." She smiled slightly at the memory. "Mike screams like a little girl."

"That's nice."

There was more silence after that as they approached their lockers. Jessie went to hers without further conversation and opened the metal door. The small space was basically empty because what Will said had been true: she did the bare minimum in schoolwork— just enough to scrape by. She stuffed two heavily-used textbooks (not by her, though; she'd gotten them from the school's lost-and-found) into her backpack before she closed the door. She jumped when the action revealed Max on the other side.

"We've got Clarke first," the girl told her rather unnecessarily. "Since we're going in the same direction we might as well walk together, right?"

She gave a noncommittal noise of agreement and began to move towards the class. Jessie did her best to ignore the way her heart sped up slightly from the redhead's proximity (their hands were almost brushing as they walked down the hallway) and the way Max's red hair swished against her shoulders as she moved. She was almost relieved when the other girl spoke: "so, what music are you listening to?"

Jessie frowned slightly in confusion and her voice rose in question as she answered, "none."

". . .but you have a Walkman?"

"Uh-huh."

"Why?"

"No reason."

Max let out an impatient sigh and reached out to grasp the other girl's wrist to bring them both to a standstill. "Alright, what is your problem? Every time I try to talk to you all I get are vague, one-word answers. If you don't like me I'd rather you just say it to my face."

The brunette's gaze remained on the floor. "It's probably for the best that you believe that."

The redhead stared at her. "Why do you keep saying things like that?"

Jessie shrugged. "I'm surprised you haven't heard the rumors yet. Usually they go around like wildfire."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"I'm Jewish, Max."

"What's that got to do with anything?"

"Uh, have you ever paid attention in history class?" she demanded. "Besides, everyone else here is a Christian of some other denomination. And, in case it's escaped your notice, there's a distinct lack of respect for anyone who isn't white."

"Well, yes but—"

Jessie talked over her: "and since you're going to find out about it anyway, I might as well say it now so you save yourself the trouble of wasting time trying to be my friend. I'm gay, Max. I like girls— why are you smiling?"

"That's what you're worried about?" the redhead asked, almost amused. "Kooky, that's nothing! I thought you were going to say that you murdered someone or something."

"That-that's nothing?" she repeated incredulously. "I literally ostracized myself at Emily's third birthday and—"

"It's nothing to be ashamed about," Max said with a shrug. "You're different, that's all. So am I."