i | Sonder ❦ (prelude)

Start from the beginning

His mother sniffled and pressed her head against his, closing her eyes. "You gotta let me go Amiré."

He shook his head no quickly, squeezing his eyes shut. He was tryna to pretend like this was all a big nightmare, and he was going to wake up in his bed soon.

"Son I'm not gonna ask you again, now I don't wanna hurt you." The first officer sighed.

"Amiré, baby, please let them take me away." She begged, voice cracking slightly. "I'm going to be okay, I love you so much."

One sheep, two sheep, three sheep.

He began to count as he tried to slow his breathes, focusing only to the sound of his breathing. He was calming down, imagining his mother pressing a kiss to his forehead as she tucked him in and he drifted off to sleep.

The officer grew impatient and used his strength to yank him away, forcing Amiré's eyes open. "NO!" His voice boomed as he watched the officer pulling his mother towards the door, fighting to get out of the other officers arms but he couldn't. "NOOOOOO! LET HER GO! PLEASE!" He begged as his body thrashed around, feeling defenseless. "PLEASE TELL THEM WHAT HAPPENED MOM."

His mother just stated at him as she was dragged to the door, she shook her head at him. Her final words to him before disappearing were, "I won't fail you twice Amiré, I love you."

"MOMMMMM!" He cried uncomfortably, breaking down completely in the officers arms.

"Shhh It's going to be okay son." The officer tried to console him, but there was no consoling him. Amiré was breaking, there was no coming back.

He was only 14 years old.

That was the last time he was able to physically touch his mother.

The case for self defense was weak, as a life was lost. The coroner claimed the victim was killed viciously, likely being knocked out before dying. Meaning she had no reason to be on defense any more once he was down. Denise Walker knew that getting off was not going to be realistic, and she wasn't going to ever say what really happened, so she took the plea deal and pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.

She was sentenced to 45 years in prison, with a chance of parole.

Unfortunately, Denise died in that prison three years into her sentence, to breast cancer.

Losing his mother, officially broke Amiré.

In his mind and heart, he killed both of his parents.

Any life he had left was drained from the inside out, leaving his soul black.

His spirit was lost.

He became numb.

He became cold.

This is his story.

•••••

"Because you don't know what I've done."
Amiré North

"— Amiré North

x

"I see you."
Taivon Bradley

"— Taivon Bradley

•••••
The Prelude.