Realizations

That sounded like a lot of fun to me. We hadn't had a trip like that since we had gone out to find the body.

"Ya know, I think it'd do us a world of good. Just us guys, out in the woods for a week. Besides, we haven't been that close recent, especially since someone decided that it'd be a good idea to run away for three days," said Vern, shooting me a dirty look. I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, that ain't too bad of an idea, Vern," said Teddy. "What'd you two think?" he asked, looking at me and Gordie. I glanced at Gordie who seemed extremely excited about it.

"We're in," I said, swinging my legs up onto the table. "When are we leaving?"

"Well, school ends in two weeks so... in two weeks?" Vern suggested.

We all agreed and hung out in the tree until we all needed to go. We said goodbye to each other and parted our separate ways. Expect for me and Gordie. I walked with him since our homes were in the same direction.

"So, what are you gonna tell Eyeball?" asked Gordie.

"Not the truth, that's for sure," I laughed. "I'll figure something out."

We talked about nothing for about five minutes before I heard I familiar voice calling out Gordie's name. 'Fan-fucking-tastic,' I thought to myself, 'Michelle.'

"Gordie! Yoo-hoo! Gordie! There you are!" She speed-walked up to us and tried joining in on our conversation.

"Ah, Michelle. Hey," I said, trying my best not to be rude. She was dating my best friend, after all.

"Hello, Chris!  Heard the news yet?  About me and this cutie right here?" She linked arms with Gordie. I felt my stomach sink.

"Oh, I'm well aware," I said. I looked at my non-existent wristwatch. "Oh, jeez, will you look at the time! You two have a fantastic Friday night, I'm gonna go," I said before taking the shortcut to my house. I couldn't wait for the camping trip, but it seemed like it was a millennium away. A whole week without worry, without Eyeball, without school, and most importantly, without Michelle.

I walked through the old doorway of my house.

"Who's there?" asked the voice of Eyeball.

"The president," I called. It was silent for a moment. Then I saw the large figure of Eyeball appear in the doorframe outside of the kitchen.

"Where the hell have you been?" He didn't sound angry or concerned. It sounded like he couldn't give less of a fuck if he tried.

"Up your ass and around the corner," I said before starting up the stairs to my room. I could practically feel his gigantic eye roll. I dropped off my stuff and went straight to the bathroom. I turned on the faucet and let the water run until it was warm. I stripped out of my clothes and hopped into the shower. The hot water felt amazing after multiple days of cold pond water. If our water bill wasn't so expensive then I would've stayed in there for hours. But, of course, soon enough Eyeball started banging on the door again. I reluctantly turned off the shower and bolted straight into my room.

With my towel wrapped around my waist, I stared at myself in the mirror. A stranger stared back at me. Who was I becoming? I ditched my own best friend because of some girl I didn't like, and the only reason I didn't like her was that I was jealous.

I was turning into a dickhead.

I looked at my skinny arms. The lack of doing anything took a toll on my overall build. My once-toned stomach was now losing its form. My complexion was pale. My lips were chapped. I looked terrible. I threw on a baggy sweatshirt and a pair of old, faded jeans, and sat down on my bed. I thought long and hard about myself. And then I realized.

I needed to move on.