Back Home

Those ten minutes flew by. Whenever I thought about Gordie, time seemed to do that. I heard the loud roar of the bike coming down the street before I saw it. I knew it was Gordie. I heard the nurse whisper to me, "Is that your ride home?" I quickly nodded yes and ran out the door, hoping that she wouldn't notice that the driver was actually underaged and didn't have a licence.

Gordie got off his bike as soon as he could like it was some sort of disease. I came up behind him and unintentionally scared him. I apologized and got in front of the wheel. As I had predicted, Gordie almost immediately started asking me questions.

"Alright, Chris. What the hell happened?" he asked, a hint of annoyance in his voice.

"Hey, are you trying to distract me from the road?" I stalled.

"You haven't even started driving-" he started before I cut him off with the sound of the engine roaring. I pulled out from the parking lot as quickly as I could, which was pretty fast. When I finally got onto the main road, I felt something wrapped around my waist. Or someone. That's when I realized that Gordie was hugging onto me for dear life. I felt a little bad that I scared him, but at the same time I loved it. Every second he held on felt heaven. My face turned red all over again, but since I wasn't facing him I didn't try to hide it. Instead, I embraced it and smiled widely. At that moment, I felt like someone. I forgot all about Michelle and the fact that she and Gordie could've been in a relationship. I was enjoying life for once.

After driving for about ten minutes, we finally arrived at Gordie's house. I slowed down and pulled into his driveway. Gordie was still holding onto me. I wasn't sure if he noticed or not, and I also didn't know how to tell him.

"...We're here," I said after a few seconds.

Gordie quickly let go and hopped off the vehicle. His face was tinted a slight shade of pink.

"Oh- uh, sorry, you know how much this thing scares me," he said, pointing to his dad's motorcycle.

"Hey, it's fine, Gordo," I said as I got off the vehicle as well. I decided that I would try to change the subject, for Gordie's sake. I draped my arm around his shoulders and started talking again. "Say, how'd your date with that Michelle chick go?" I smiled through the pain that bringing that up caused me.

"Oh, come on! I haven't been able to think about her since you've been gone! And, you never did tell me why you left in the first place! What the hell, man?" He was more upset than angry. I could tell. I sighed, knowing that I'd have to tell him eventually.

"Look, I'm sorry," I said after a few long seconds. "I...I don't know what I was thinking. I just...I just needed some time for myself," I admitted.

Gordie looked at me. His eyes were glossy. "Just, please don't do that again, okay? I... I thought we lost you," he confessed.

By then we were sitting on his outdoor furniture in his backyard. Without thinking, I wrapped my arms around his shoulder and pulled him into a side hug. Gordie tried wiping the tears in his eyes discreetly, but I knew what he was doing.

"I'm really, really sorry," I whispered. Ever since his brother died, Gordie had been way more nervous about losing any of us than before. I felt really bad about making him worry about me. Gordie sniffled before looking up at me and forced a smile.

"God, I'm sorry too. I shouldn't worry about you this much-"

"No, no, you have every right to be upset with me," I said, cutting him off. "I fucked up."

We sat there in silence for a few minutes. Finally, Gordie spoke up again.

"The guys've been wondering where you've been...we better try an' find them." I thought that was a good idea, so we went to the one place we're we knew we would find them eventually: the tree house. It only took twenty minutes before Teddy showed up.

"Chris? Where the hell have you been?" asked Teddy.

"Doesn't matter. I'm back now," I said, desperately not wanting to recall the previous three days. Teddy gave me the biggest eye roll and a slight glare. I knew I deserved it.

Shortly after, we heard the sound of running coming from outside of the treehouse. Then we heard someone coming up the ladder. Soon enough, Vern poked his head through the trapdoor.

"Hey guys," he said, completely out of breath. Then he noticed me.

"Oh, welcome back Chris," he said quickly before taking a seat next to Teddy.

"So, I got this idea, right? Since summer's coming up, what if we went on a camping trip?"