Michelle

Me and Gordie we eating lunch outside one day. This girl that Gordie had been spending more and more time with came up to us and asked if she could eat with us. Her name was Michelle. She was very talkative. A complete sweetheart, but oh boy did she like to talk. I didn't have a problem with it, I had met her a couple of times before and she would make up for my lack of talking.

She sat down next to Gordie and I kid you not, dead-ass asked him out right in front of me. She didn't even ask to talk to him in private. Just walked up, asked to sit with us, then immediately asked him out. I felt my stomach sink. There was a moment of silence. Then, Gordie spoke up.

"M-me?" His voice had a hint of panic within it.

"Yes, you. I like you, and I think we should go on a date," she said whilst grinning widely. Then she booped his nose. My stomach sank further down.

There was a pause. The world felt like it was moving in slow motion. I knew I wanted Gordie to be happy, but I was really, really hoping that he would decline.

But really, when is the world ever on my side?

"I- uh- s-sure?" he said, uncertainty in his voice.

Michelle jumped up and squealed with glee. I felt my eyes well up with tears. However, one thing I had gotten good at by then was stopping tears. And if I couldn't, then I could at least delay them. I got up quickly, intending to leave. I didn't plan on going back to school that day. I just needed to get away, to be alone, to let it out.

"Well, you guys have fun on your date. I need to go, see ya!" I said hastily before practically running away. I didn't stop for what felt like forever. My legs just kept going until I got to the treehouse. I figured that everyone was still in school, so it would be fine.

I climbed up the ladder and made my way to a corner. I slid onto the floor. My knees were against my chest and my head was in my hands. I couldn't hold it back anymore. I finally broke. Uncontrollable tears ran down my face. I couldn't stop the sobs. Everything was wrong. Everything was going wrong. I fell for a boy. My best friend. And he didn't even like me back.

I don't know how long I was curled up on the floor. But I do know that I lost track of time because the next thing I knew, I heard footsteps advancing up the ladder. I didn't know what to do. My face was stained with tears, my eyes were red from crying, and I was still crying. Simply put that I couldn't get away with lying. I buried my face into my hands again and hopped that whoever that was would go away.

Of course, they didn't, no one walks halfway up a ladder only to decide against it last minute. The trapdoor opened slowly. Then I heard Teddy's voice.

"Chris? Jesus, Chris! What happened?"

I looked up to see Teddy's head, just barely above the trapdoor.

I didn't know what to say.  Teddy had never seen me cry before, and if I'm being honest I wanted it to stay that way.  Panic surrounded me, so I decided on doing the only thing I could think of.

Push him further away.

"Fuck off," I mumbled.  But Teddy was already entering the treehouse.  Before I knew it, he was right next to me.

"Chris, you know you don't gotta keep pushing me away.  I am your friend-"

"Just fuck off, okay?  Fuck off!" I yelled a little louder than I intended.  I got up and sprinted for the trap door.  Of course, I forgot how high up the treehouse was and I fell onto the ground, hard.  But I didn't care.  I started running all over again, trying to think of someplace to go.  I couldn't go home since Eyeball was there- and he'd give me all kinds of shit about crying.  I couldn't go see Gordie because he'd question me about why I left so suddenly.  And I just wasn't close enough to Vern to see him.  So I kept running.

When I finally stopped, I was deep in the woods somewhere.  I wandered around there for an hour before finding the road.  I walked down there for about twenty minutes before finding a little corner store.  I was hungry and thirsty, so I checked my pockets to see what I had.  I found a granola bar and two dollars, so I decided to buy some supplies while I was there.

I came out with a big bottle of water, some trail mix, four cans of tuna, and with the money I had leftover, a couple more granola bars.

And with that, I went back into the woods to find someplace to settle in for a couple of days.  It didn't take long for me to find it- a small pond in the woods.  It was pretty deep inside, so you couldn't hear the road from it.  The sight was absolutely beautiful.  The sun was beginning to set on the water.  Shades of red, pink, orange and purple filled the sky.  Evergreen trees bordered the water, reflecting their image on the pond.  It almost seemed to sparkle.  I found a large rock that just bordered the pond and got ready for the night.  I use my old sweater as a pillow and laid down.  As I drifted to sleep, the last image in my mind was Gordie.