The old Brynn would have hibernated in her room and played agonizing love songs while crying into an empty pint of Ben and Jerry's. But not this Brynn, I was hardened. I was defensive and thinking about enjoying what I had been missing out on...like flirting and dating and...kissing.

No! I was a freakin senior in high school! This was supposed to be a memorable year and I wasn't about to let my very first, or second, heartbreak from the same guy throw me down. Nope! But right now I needed my girl support. So I went to Janet's house.

"He WHAT!? I don't get it...it makes no sense!" Janet crossed her arms in awe.

"I know right! It's absurd. I tell you there has to be something going on with this 'Marley' chick."

"It reminds me of that stupid quote 'if you love something then set it free...' whoever wrote that was a moron!"

"Exactly! Makes no sense. You would do the exact opposite if you truly loved someone. And THAT isn't considered SELFISH as he so claims it to be." I paced back and forth.

"What if he's just confused? Like maybe he did started feeling something for 'Marley' and he needs time to figure things out. I mean she's with him every day..."

"Then why didn't he say that. He didn't have to cover it up to protect her. But maybe you're right. You can get confused with so much distance in the way...someone can come along and distract you and stir up feelings..." I rambled.

"Are we still talking about Marley or someone else?" Janet raised an eyebrow.

"Of course we are talking about Marley. Who else would I be talking about?" I argued.

"I don't know... a particular bartender we both know." She winked.

"Absolutely not! Janet focus, we are trying to get to the bottom of why Aaron broke up with me!"

"I think he did you a favor. I mean honestly Brynn, you weren't necessarily the life of the party when we went out. I see how sad you get when you see a couple holding hands in front of us; and how you cling to the phone as though you had no social life. We're Seniors! let's have fun before we hit that long winding road to college."

"You're right." I hung my head and Janet came closer to wrap me in a bear hug.

.

I had missed last year's Winter Festival, but I wasn't going to pass this last one up. I anticipated it and so did my hair. Good Lord, I had split ends 4 inches long. Time to redo my hairdo!

Later that Thursday afternoon, on my way back home from my hair appointment, Janet called me sounding very excited.

"So I know we said we would go to the Winter Festival together...now don't hate me but I got us two dates. Two. HOTT. Dates!"

"Oh Janet you are a gem! How could I hate you for that? Who are they?"

"That's the surprise. My dad's going to drop me off in a bit so I can get ready in your house. And our dates will meet us at the dance."

"Why do I have a funny feeling about this..." I raised my tone in alarm.

"See you laterrrrr."

I had a very good idea who my date probably was, but the adventure of finding out motivated me even more to look my best tonight. I had gotten my very own LBD. And this one had a low cut in the back with a classy modest collar in the front. I wore a long silver cardigan over it, incase my mom questioned about how revealing my dress was. But rest assured it was coming off the minute I stepped out of the car.

I parted my hair to the side and wore silver chandelier earrings that matched my high heels and let's not forget my bold pink lips. I was shocked at how grown up I looked, compared to that self-conscious girl that let her outfits get chosen for her back in the day in Izzy's room... I never missed her but I always wondered how she was doing. But now it was my choice to wear riskier outfit, because I had the confidence to go along with it.