Chapter 5

Brad knew that ghosts aren't real. But with all the weird things that had happened, anything was possible. Brad's whole world had turned upside down. He didn't know what was real anymore, so a ghost, why not! It was getting dark, and Brad was starting to feel very lonely. He wished for someone to talk to, anyone, even the ghost. Brad decided to walk on the George Washington Bridge. Maybe he would just camp out on the bridge. Now that he was the last one on earth, he could do anything he wanted. He grabbed his back pack and walked to the middle of the bridge.
He set up his sleeping bag and watched slowly as the sun went down. Brad was hoping to see the city lights come on, but then he remembered that there were no people and no electricity. "Darn." He said. It was really hoping to see the empire stat building light up. After a while he saw something even more amazing. The moon and stars lit up a mind-blowing display of lights against the dark city skyline. The sky looked like it was not just scattered, but magnificently smeared with billions and billions of stars. For the first time, he noticed the stars shone bright and he saw all the constellations and the stars were brighter than had ever seen them before. "This is why they call it the' Milly Way' " he thought.
A shooting star shot across the sky. He watched it over the horizon in the south then he saw a silent flash of a bright white light. The light lingered over the impact like a dome for about a minute and then suddenly disappeared and was replaced by a smaller orange light that shot up into the sky, like the shooting star in reverse. "That's no shooting star!" he thought, "that's the same light from my dream. Wait, maybe it wasn't a dream." He realized.
Then it started getting really cold and the wind started to blow. "Stupid me!" He said as he started shivering. "How was I ever stupid enough to think of doing this." he said. He tried the door of one of the cars on the bridge. It was locked. How could somebody get out with the door being locked? Brad tried another car. The door opened. Brad climbed inside of the car with his sleeping bag.

Brad noticed that the keys were in the ignition, so he turned the key and the engine started. A loud static filled the car as the radio came on. He hit the off button to make it stop, then search the panel for the heat button. He wasn't sure which button turned the heat on but he noticed one that said "XM."

When Brad pushed the "XM" button, the satellite radio came on and the display said "country". He hated country music, so his first thought was the change the station, but then he heard a voice with a southern accent come on.

"This just in, we have learned that another explosion occurred in the north. Just minutes ago a flash of light was seen over Washington DC. We still have no communication with New York and now we are unable to reach our contacts in the government. Folks, our country is under attack! We can only assume that everyone north of Virginia are all dead. Just before we lost contact, we had been informed by the Central Intelligence Agency that the satellite images of New York showed that the buildings are all intact, but no human activity or any movement was seen in the past 24 hours. At this point our theory is that it was some kind of poison gas or radiation. An EMP attack is also a possibility. As soon as we can determine radiation levels, we will know if we can send planes up there to investigate. In the meantime, we are warning everyone not to drive to the north. All roads will be blocked and all train and bus services to the north has been suspended..."