Chapter 4

Adrian leads the way towards the mansion as Luke, Sam and I follow. Derrick and the other two cronies had disappeared; I don't really hold much interest as to where. Once Adrian had exited the car, he kept with his inexplicable behavior and tried to carry my bag, which, of course, I downright refused to let happen. For some unfathomable reason, it's safe to say he isn't entirely happy with my decision. Luke had watched our little exchange trying desperately to hold in a laugh. Apparently, he found our interaction deeply amusing, though I've given up trying to figure out why. I have more important things to deal with at the moment.

        The second we walk through the door of the pack house Luke goes off in search of some Sonya, offering a hurried promise to see us later. As Adrian continues to lead the way up a flight of stairs and down various hallways, I'm trying hard not to find this semi-normal setting exceptionally strange. I haven't really been inside a house since I was eight, and to my knowledge Sam has never been inside one; a fact I'm sure is going to become painfully obvious at some point in the evening.

        Our party of three finally arrives in a large bedroom complete with an attached bathroom and walk in closet. The walls are a deep blue, and a queen sized bed with a black comforter is against the east side of the room, between the bathroom and closet. Taking a deep breath I realize that this room smells extremely like my new favorite scent.

        This is Adrian's room.

        "You can put your bag anywhere. There's plenty of room in the closet for you to unpack" eyeing Sam's slightly mud crusted and rumpled clothes, he adds with a gentle smirk, "The bathroom's right through that door. You can wash up a bit before dinner if you'd like. Don't be to long though" he tacks on, looking at me again, "You need to eat."

        Deciding for once to be nice and take advantage of the situation, I mutter a thanks and lead Sam into the bathroom. I'll talk to Adrian about this being his bedroom later. Giving him the benefit of the doubt I entertain the idea that maybe he's just being nice...but his behavior still doesn't make any sense with that explanation. Any other alpha would have tried to kill me in the diner, or at least seen to it that Sam and I were off their territory and been done with it. They wouldn't' have wanted to "get to know me", they wouldn't have brought us to the pack house or let me (and definitely not wanted me to) ride on their lap, and they certainly wouldn't have brought me to their bedroom and acted like I'm going to be staying there! None of it makes any sense.

        But, instead of giving Adrian a piece of my mind about him possibly believing we'd be staying in here, I decide to give Sam his first bubble bath and let him be like all other kids his age for at least once in his life.

                                                                                **** 

        "What are those?"

        "They're bubbles."

        "But, what are they?"

        "They're made of soap." Noting the cautious look on his face, I add, "They won't hurt you. They're just fun to play with".

        Sam's still looking unsure, but I can tell his curiosity is slowly getting the better of him.

        "Come on, get in...you know you want to." Sending him a teasing smirk and wink, Sam finally starts climbing into the tub. 

        "It's warm!" he exclaims. I can hardly blame him for his surprise. Before this I doubt he knew warm water even existed.