Chapter 18

After the meeting, I make my way back upstairs to join Sam. Sending lethargy waves through our bond again, I manage to take my previous position as I clasp my choker back around my neck. My arm stretched out straight above Sam's head, I use my bicep as a pillow and fall asleep within seconds.

****

I feel the crisp night air ruffle through my short hair as I revel in the beauty of this night. I'm twelve years old and it's the first time I've been out of my cell in months. I don't care that my broken ribs hurt every time I breath or that my chest is beginning to throb painfully from being bound so flat or that people are staring at me as though I'm worth less than the mud beneath my feet. For the first time in months I am free. And I don't care about anything else.

I scoop a seven year old Colten up into my arms as he comes running at me. It's the night of the full moon, and everybody's outside to celebrate. The entire pack is gathered in a grassy area between the pack house and forest line, talking and sparring. I feel the mud under my bare feet, and I allow a rare smile to break out on my face. I know it's probably stupid, and the more logical side of my brain is warning me not to get too comfortable because nothing good comes without a catch, but in this moment I simply don't care.

For this night I am free. I'd be the biggest idiot in the world if I didn't enjoy it.

Smiling down at Colten, I take in his unruly black hair and green eyes. Eyes that hold far more maturity than any seven-year-old's should have to. Though, I don't pity him for it. That's just the way things are. There's no such thing as a childhood in the Royce family. We start training as soon as we can walk, and any mistake is met with harsh discipline.

If mistakes are accepted they will become habit, and that becomes a weakness. That is something that will never be tolerated. A weakness is a threat, and threats must be eliminated.

I watch as Colten's timid smile suddenly grows in the face of mine, and I notice he's lost one of his front teeth. I'm about to comment on it when his stomach growls loudly. Smirking at him, my expression becomes amused as I mask the anger I feel at the thought of how long it's probably been since Father last fed him.

"Let's get you something to eat, yeah?" I ask him.

Hoisting him a bit higher on my hip so he isn't digging into my recently acquired bruise, I start over to the food table. I grab a burger and some lemonade for Colten, but don't dare to get anything for myself. I may be free for the night, but I'm not that free. And I'm not that idiotic.

I sit down at the end of one of the few wooden picnic tables and set Colten, with his food, down next to me. Gazing around at the surrounding forest, I take in the undeniable beauty of the night. The full moon paints the entire forest in a silvery glow, and the breeze rustles through the trees and brings the scent of pine, food and fresh air my way. Like always in this territory, the air is tainted with the smell of blood and sweat, but I'm used to the metallic edge by now. I barely even register it.

What I do register, however, is the dominating presence behind me that can only belong to one person. Bowing my head slightly, I avoid eye contact.

"Father," I acknowledge.

I fight to keep my entire body from tensing as he grips the back of my neck and pulls me to my feet.

"Daniel," he responds, his voice at my ear. "I have something to take care of, and it requires your attendance."

Sensing the catch I knew was coming, I keep my voice respectful but otherwise emotionless. "It will be an honor, Sir."