Chapter 14

The rest of the day was uneventful, despite Adrian's statement in the kitchen. I did, in fact, fall back asleep in Adrian's arms for an additional two hours; an event that irritates me to no end. Although, it does have its benefits as the bones in my shoulder are completely healed and the bruises on my torso gone.

And...being in Adrian's arms wasn't the worst thing in the world. As much as I hate to admit it, and as certain as I am I'll never say it out loud, a small but growing part of me honestly loves being in Adrian's embrace. I've never felt like I fit anywhere more perfectly, or feel more complete. There's no escaping the fact, however, that as good as it makes me feel, it also terrifies me.

I'm broken out of my contemplations by the sound of Adrian's door closing. By the scent that fills the room and the feeling in my stomach I instantly know it's Adrian, though I don't turn around. Leaning on my elbows against the window sill, I stare out at the moonlit forest line and hope beyond hope that Colten isn't ahead of schedule. The odds are unlikely, but then again they also always seem to be stacked against me.

If all had gone according to plan for him, he should be crossing these parts anytime now. The Silver Crescent territory isn't exactly our planned meeting place, but since he's tracking my messages he should come across the latest one relatively easily. Part of me is driving myself crazy thinking of all the possible things that could go wrong, while the more sensible part of me knows that every possibility is more unlikely than the last. Colten is beyond capable of handling himself; I know that. He's been trained since the day he could walk. Breathing out a sigh, I convince myself that he'll be fine. After all, if there's one thing our father can do, it's make warriors.

Silently joining me by the window, Adrian stares out at the yard for a few moments before speaking. "Is Sam asleep?"

Nodding, I don't shift my gaze from the moonlit scene below. I had made a makeshift bed out of blankets for Sam on the floor of the office. My hope is to gradually ease him to the point where he can comfortably sleep in a real bed. We aren't going to be rogues forever, after all. It's a good idea to get him accustomed to sleeping in a bed.

"Why Daniel?" Adrian suddenly asks.

Glancing at him, a bit lost, I reply, "Why what?"

"Why did your parents choose the name Daniel? I like it, trust me. I'm just curious."

I don't correct him by saying that my parents didn't choose my name, my father did. My mother just wasn't stupid enough to argue. I do, surprisingly, tell him the truth, even if it isn't all of it. Staring out into the forest, my voice is calm, emotionless, as I answer.

"My father wanted a son."

Adrian's quiet for a few seconds, thinking over what I said. As he continues his voice is quieter, softer. It matches the peaceful, moonlight painted scene outside the window.

"Did he ever get one?"

I bite my tongue to prevent a humorless laugh from escaping me. Did he get a son? It didn't matter whether he did or not, did it? Not really. Regardless of what I am biologically, my father was dead set on having a first born son. He wasn't going to let a lack of a certain body appendage take that away from him.

That isn't the question Adrian asked, though.

"Yes," I answer, "Five years later".

"So you have a brother?" He asks, turning slightly to face me.

"I do," I nod. Before he can question me further, I decide it's time I get some answers of my own. Turning to face him, I again ask him the question that's been driving me crazy since the first time the topic was mentioned.