16. Carnival Nights, Fall, & The Plot Twist

Start from the beginning

I turn to Cole, knowing he saw it too and ask, "Why would you wear a short skirt and heels to a carnival?"

"Because at a certain point, things don't become so family friendly and it becomes date night," he says, raising his eyebrows for effect.

"But I'm wearing jeans right now and you aren't complaining."

"That's because your ass looks great in these jeans," he says, grabbing my butt and pulling me into him.

Geez, Cole. We are in public for God's sake!

"Colson."

"Lilianna."

"Lovebirds," the guy controlling the ferris wheel's voice breaks us out of our haze and points to the ferris wheel seat waiting for me and Cole. "You are up."

Cole let's go of me and we walk onto the platform and into the seat. We put the seatbelt on and we pull the bar down over us.

The ride continues and we ride to the tippy top of the ferris wheel. Cole puts his arm around me and states the obvious, "The sun is setting."

"Yeah, we got on at just the right time. It's beautiful up here," I reply, my eyes fixed on the gorgeous painting that is the sky.

"Not as beautiful as you, darling," Cole says with a genuine smile, his eyes fixed on me.

I blush and look down at my feet, "It's funny."

"What is?" Cole asks, intrigued.

"How when I'm up here, on this ferris wheel with you I feel like I'm on top of the world. How everything feels small from up here. How all my problems dissipate and all I know is you," I say looking him in the eye.

"You may be on top of the world, but you are my world," Cole says and he crashes his lips onto mine just as we reach the top of the ferris wheel with the sky a blazing mixture of pink, orange, blue, and purple.

*******

It's Monday morning and I would rather be in a million different places besides school. I swear, I've had so much caffeine in the past two hours to keep myself from dozing off in class.

Note to self- next time you decide to go to a carnival with Cole, don't go on a school night.

The bell just rang signaling the end of the second period which means I finally get out of science. I hate my science teacher. In fact, it's not just me- everyone hates her. She makes us do excruciatingly long assignments and she's failing more than half of her students.

I put my binder in my backpack, zip it up, and get out of there. Per usual, Cole is waiting for me outside the door. He is always one of the first people out of this class because he sits by the door.

"I'm so dead to the world," I say while me and Cole walk to our third period history class. "Next time we do anything that involves us staying out late, we are doing it on a Friday or a Saturday."

"Agreed. I almost fell asleep during Mrs. Crazy's half hour lecture," he says while we walk down the stairs to the main level of our school.

Some people say they want a two story school. I however hate it. The constant walking up and down the staircase to class kills my knees everyday. Just as me and Cole are about to walk past the office and into history class, I hear it.

"Hey kiddo!" I stop in my tracks and turn around only to be met with the one face I know all too well. I gasp and suddenly want to puke my guts out. Scratch that, I feel like I am going to pass out.

As the room is going black, I feel Cole catch me in his arms and I want to run. Run away from this situation I don't want to be in. Pretend this isn't real. Pretend he isn't here right now.

And before I know it, we all end up in the principal's office. All three of us. With my mother on the way.

author's note

word count: 1,180

i'm going to start off by saying we have hit so many milestones since my last update, it's not even funny.

9.02k- november 7, 2021

10k- november 13, 2021

11k- november 14, 2021

12.1k- november 16, 2021

13.1k- november 17, 2021

14k- november 18, 2021

15.2k- november 21, 2021

thank you all so very much for the reads, votes, comments, shares, and thank you for having us get our first tiktok!! thank you all this means so much to me and i appreciate you all and what you have done for this book is much.

i am so sorry for not updating for awhile. my grandma got diagnosed with cancer, then she has surgery for the removal of the cancer, then schoolwork pilled up, i had writer's block, and i was in the emergency room- it's been crazy around here.

thank goodness for thanksgiving break, i promise i will write more and update :)