Chapter 5

Sera POV

As usual, Sera was playing pig games on the roof and skipping class. John had been back for two weeks now; she hadn't realized how much she missed his company until he was there with her, leaning against the back of the rooftop's fence and watching her play games. When she'd asked if he wanted to play, too, John had simply stated that he wanted to stay like this. She'd caught him smiling at her multiple times now.

Maybe he'd missed her just like she'd missed him, or possibly even more. After all, at the moment she was basically his only friend while Sera also had the Royals, Evie and Roland. Sera wished that John would get along with more people, but she'd worry about that later: right now it was nice to just relax when John was here, and talk about classes, or just sit together. She'd missed those quiet moments. Sera had also almost forgotten how funny he could be, and how refreshing it was to spend time with him. He didn't care about school that much, and he didn't bug her about Spectre like Arlo did... though John didn't know about Spectre.

Hopefully Sera wasn't making a bad decision by not telling him. She probably was, but they could worry about that later... for now, she cared more about making sure John didn't have another mental breakdown. He seemed fine, but she couldn't be too sure anymore. After all, he'd seemed fine for a long time, but had been suffering because of those horrible readjustment classes he'd had to do the whole time...

A text interrupted Sera's pig game. She won the level before leaving to go and check it. When she saw who it was from, Sera hesitated; it was from the group Spectre. Maybe they were giving her a new assignment now. She couldn't help Leilah in smaller things forever, not when she was this powerful.

Sera sighed. It could've been a mistake to make a deal with a company whom she didn't fully trust, but what other choice had she had back then? She'd needed her ability. Now, she had it again and John was back on her side. If anything went wrong this time he'd be there to support her. She could somehow tell just from the way that he smiled when he saw her that he wouldn't beat up countless people without stopping a third time. He cared too much about her to completely lie again. At least, she hoped he did.

Sera had decided to trust John, even if some of the Royals such as Arlo wouldn't agree with her. He had problems with her either way. She had a feeling that Arlo still didn't approve of her choice to work for Spectre, even if she hadn't had any other options.

Speaking of things Arlo disapproved of, she had a text from Spectre to read. Sera activated her ability for a minute to check that no one was hiding on the roof before opening the text. Just as she'd thought, it was instructing her to come to Spectre's building after school in a few days. However, there was more after the text this time.

It's time for you to do more than just help out in the lab.

Sera froze as she read it. She couldn't tell what Spectre was planning. Taking a deep breath, she answered with: What will I need to do?

The answer came a moment later. We've located some of our group members who split and stole the dampeners. You must come with us to find them as backup.

Her dark blue eyes widened as she read the text. It seemed that now they were including her in things. Yes, they hadn't instructed her to be in the middle of it all, but she would be there for backup... now came the dangerous part of this job she'd signed up for.

Sera's phone beeped again a minute later. This time, the text message was from Leilah: I know about the job you're doing. Be careful, Sera.

She would do just that. After getting her ability back after months of having it gone, Sera fully intended to never loose it again.

She stood up from where she sat on the rooftop and stretched, glancing back down at her phone. Sera suddenly remembered a promise she'd made a month or so ago: Arlo had been bugging her about joining Spectre. He was one of the only people who knew how she'd gotten her ability back at the moment; Sera still hadn't told John everything. The other Royals, too, had been busy with their own troubles.

Back then, Sera had told Arlo that she'd give him updates on everything Spectre wanted her to do just to try and get him to stop annoying her. He had for a little, but now he was back to it again; every couple of days he would ask about it. Sera sighed, debating whether to tell him. She'd promised, yes, but did he really need to know?

Unfortunately, she didn't get much of a decision because at that moment a tall blond boy stepped onto the roof. Apparently Arlo hadn't wanted to wait for her text again. She sighed, wishing that he would've come when she didn't have anything to tell her.

"What do you want?" Sera asked him even though she already knew the answer. She leaned back against the roof's fence again, crossing her arms.

Arlo's eyes narrowed, giving him his usual angry expression. "Have they given you any more jobs, Seraphina?"

"Yes." She didn't bother trying to lie. Arlo's eyes narrowed even more.

"What are they having you do this time?" He asked.

"I can deal with it myself, Arlo. I'm strong. Stronger than you," She reminded him, smirking a little at the annoyed expression on his face.

"You lost your ability," He reminded her right back, causing Sera's smile to vanish. She glared at him, crossing her arms.

"I haven't forgotten." Her dark blue eyes glowed as she activated her ability. "I'm not going to let them take it again."

Arlo sighed, finally seeming to accept that he couldn't do anything to control her. "It was the wrong decision to join Spectre, Seraphina. You don't know what they'll make you do. It's dangerous."

She narrowed her eyes at him. I already know all of that! I made my decision, and I'm not going to change it.

"I can protect myself, Arlo," She told him. "And I stand by my decision."

Arlo didn't answer her. Instead, he turned and left the rooftop, leaving Sera alone. She sighed.

In the past, she knew that Arlo wouldn't have given up on it so easily. As the previous King, he liked control and order. In the past few months, however, he'd had anything but. Just because he'd learned the authorities and EMBER were connected and was suffering from it didn't mean Sera would let him control her.

Her dark blue eyes glowed, and a smile spread across her face. Sera was never going to let anyone control her again.