Freak-O Microwave 2000

On his sixteenth birthday, Peter was awakened at precisely six o'clock when the garbage trucks rolled around. The flashing lights and loud bangs woke the other kids too, so they had a pillow fight. Peter stayed on the floor in the 'safe zone,' but he got whacked in the face a few times.

It just so happened that today was the day the younger kids started school. The middle school and elementary school started on the same day, but for some reason the high school was waiting another two weeks. This school system was really messed up.

Bernard and Miranda must have forgotten that today was the first day of school, because by the time everyone got downstairs, Bernard was gone and Miranda was still snoring blissfully in her bed.

"Okay," Peter sighed, making his way into the kitchen. He hadn't gotten a lot of sleep last night, as it had hurt to lay down. Luckily, with his super-healing, most of the bruises had faded by now. "What does everyone want for breakfast?"

"Donuts!" Kayla cheered.

"How about oatmeal?" Peter countered, pulling a box out of the pantry. "Or cereal."

"You don't have to get us breakfast," Diego said, opening a cupboard and pulling down some bowls.

"Yeah, but I'm the only one who doesn't have school today," Peter said as he got out a couple boxes of cereal. "So I have all the time in the world."

Soon everyone was seated at the table with their breakfast, talking excitedly about what school would be like this year.

"I have Miss Hannigan," Kayla pouted, sticking out her lip. "We all know how that's gonna be."

"It's Miss Hannibal," Diego corrected. "Stop pretending you're in an Annie musical."

Kayla stuck out her tongue and Arnwaldo flipped his hair over his shoulder.

"I'm just glad Diego's advancing to middle school with me," he said through a mouthful of oatmeal. "That's radical, dude. I can show you all the ropes: the tiny ropes, the big ropes, that weird purple rope that someone cut with a--"

"Hey," Diego glared at him. "Sixth grade is way cooler than seventh. No one says 'radical.'"

After they finished their breakfast, they rushed upstairs to brush their teeth and get dressed. Since they had one sink, brushing teeth proved to be a problem.

"Shove over!" Diego yelled, pushing Kayla aside. She clenched her jaw and sent him a look that made him wisely step away from the sink and let her have a turn.

"My ice cubes!" Arnwaldo hollered, dashing out of the bathroom and back downstairs. He returned with a bright blue ice cube.

"Arnwaldo...what is that?" Peter asked, wrinkling his nose. Arnwaldo popped it into his mouth and grinned.

"Mouf-wash ice cube!"

"Eww! Gross!" Kayla yelped.

"That disobeys the laws of nature!" Diego howled.

Billy was a very patient person. He was calmly waiting outside in the hallway with Peter for his turn, clean clothes on and hair brushed. He twirled his index finger around the side of his head and made the sign for 'crazy,' which Peter already knew since it was a common gesture. He smiled.

Peter thought they were making really great time when they started down the sidewalk to the bus stop, until Kayla had to turn back because she forgot her lunch money. When they left for the second time, Arnwaldo insisted on coming back to get his 'pet frog' which he kept under a flowerpot in the backyard. He was surprised to find nothing under it, but failed to notice the giant hole in the side. He settled for his rock.