35. touch me, I'm sick (or sing into my mouth)

PREVIOUSLY: the geeks' break from their neighbours is almost over; the two months flew buy almost unnoticed by Gwen (who's been preoccupied with launching her politics career into action), Lizzy (who's been wrapped up in Jerry's blue eyes), Eva (who's been stretched thin across school, work, and basketball), and Kat (who's been hibernating, following her break up, and is finally starting to come out of it); Mudhoney are wrapping up their European tour and it's pretty obvious that everyone's tired and ready to go home – especially Mark; he spent a lot of time on the phone with Kat during the last couple of weeks of it, and when she questions his reason for initiating these calls (she's a little worried about him), he has to admit to himself that he's not entirely sure, or rather that there's probably multiple different reasons, not excluding homesickness; he also notices there's been a shift in their friendship but he doesn't dwell on it too much, it's more of an observation he makes to himself in passing as he looks forward to being back in Seattle.

"Kat, what do you really think about me?" Lizzy asks out of the blue. She's been reading a magazine for the last ten minutes, or at least I thought so, judging by her looking at one laid out on our dining table; while I've been having my pre-work cup of coffee.

"Uh... What do you mean, really?"

"Do you think I'm smart? Do you think you're smarter than me?"

"In some ways, yes, but it's the opposite in other ways..." I shrug and take a sip of my coffee. Honestly, I'd say Lizzy is the least weird one out of my flatmates, but stuff like this is nothing out of the ordinary... So that says a lot about the kind of weirdos I live with. "Why?"

"Oh no reason, just wondered... So when's Mark—"

"Look who turned up at Raison!" Eva – speak of the devil – burst in through the apartment door, causing me to nearly choke, and a flock of dirty long haired musicians follow behind her.

"Hey, guys!" I hastily set my mug down and step towards them but before I can take a good look at everyone's face, Lukin crashes into me with his whole body while crying out 'Rusty!' at the top of his lungs. He wraps his arms around me and when I try to pull away after an appropriate amount of hugging time, he tightens his grip and starts rubbing himself all over me like a rabid stray cat. "Lukin, if I get a rash from you, I swear..."

"It's okay, shh, I know you've missed me too..."

"What's the commotion?" Gwen comes out of her room since our place has been filled with the sounds of voices and footsteps by now.

"The neighbours are back!" Eva announces excitedly. I love how we've taken to referring to them as our neighbours, even though it's really only Mark and Lukin that live here.

"We really do need a safe word..." I mumble to Matt, who's still clinging to me, while I look over at Steve and Danny saying hi to Lizzy and Gwen. "Weren't there four of you?" I ask when he finally lets me go.

"Unfortunately, Mark's been voted the band leader yet again..." Steve tells me.

"Voted?" Eva asks.

"Yes, we vote quarterly. He's gotten elected every time so far," he explains cheerfully. "So that means he has to attend all the management meetings and deal with all the paperwork and such. For the most part."

"Wow... Clever. Cold," Gwen looks at the three guys with newfound awe.

"Why thank you, Gwyneth—"

"That's not my name, Lukin, and wash your hands before you put them in the chip bag."

"Good to see nothing's changed here," Lukin gives me a lopsided smile as he continues to shovel our chips into his mouth. Nothing has changed then... I didn't even see him open it.