24. The Hunchback, Molotov cocktails, and other recipes for disaster

PREVIOUSLY: Mike and Gwen meet up for coffee and he says nothing about what he overheard, thinking that Gwen's actions speak louder than words and there's no way she's not satisfied in any way at all; instead, he makes up a lie about not wanting to attend dance classes with her anymore and she buys it; Lizzy organised a movie night for the GEEKs and some friends; although not invited by Kat, Chris shows up with Stone; Eva feels like finally she'll be able to spend more time with friends and makes plans to see a basketball game with her friend Aimee in a few weeks; in the midst of catching up with friends, she inadvertently walks in on Kat and Chris looking suspiciously affectionate towards each other; Chris ponders Gwen's relationship choices, prompted by overhearing Kristine and Mike talk about it; he talks to Gwen herself, of course saying nothing about the matter, and realises that his attraction towards her has not gone away.

"Don't think I didn't see what I saw," I narrow my eyes at Kat and a dumb smile splits her face.

She managed to avoid me last night – and it was obvious that she was avoiding me, which further confirmed my suspicion that something's going on – but now I've cornered her eating my snacks on the couch.

"What?"

"What are you doing?"

"What do you mean, what am I doing? I'm eating roasted salted almonds."

"Didn't he just have a crush on Gwen?"

Kat shuffles uncomfortably and I can tell there's more to it than meets the eye. "Who?"

"Chris!"

"We're just friends, relax..."

"So I didn't see you be all touchy feely with my own two eyes?"

"I wasn't being touchy feely with your eyes— Okay, you saw whatever you did, but it's not what it looks like... Wow, that's a phrase I never thought I'd say..."

"What does that mean?"

"Means we've talked about it and we both agree that we want this to be a... You know, a friendly thing."

"What exactly does this friendliness entail?"

"Okay, so it's like... We do...it's more like...it's just a little bit of fun, I guess?" She mumbles with a complete lack of confidence. "It's the perfect compromise. We all know I'm emotionally dead and my heart's nothing but a piece of coal, and this thing we have is harmless. We're...very friendly. And it's been going just fine."

"Been going?! How long have you been hiding this?"

Kat presses her lips together tightly and widens her eyes in an expression of regret about what she just revealed. "He's been coming over sometimes in the past month or so..."

"Coming over!? You mean, here?" I point at the floor. "How did I not know?? I live on the other side of your bedroom wall! Do Gwen and Lizzy know?!"

"No!"

"What the hell, Kat? How hasn't anyone seen Chris come in or out?"

"Because I'm not an idiot. Besides, Gwen's always out doing something, Lizzy tends to stay in her bedroom when she's home. Or more accurately, her bed. Although lately she usually leaves in the morning and doesn't come back until dinner time, because without Gwen Lizzy has no business hanging around the apartment alone either. And plus she was in New York for a while. And you have your own stuff going on too, so..."

I didn't realize until now how little time the four of us have been spending together lately, but it's true. It was Lizzy's idea to have that movie night yesterday and she mentioned something about missing hanging out with everyone, but I didn't really think much of it. But it really is true. We all got caught up in our own lives. It's like I've been too busy to notice that myself, because it feels like I'm always either at Raison or in the lab, and it's also true that when I get home all I want to do is just eat and go to my room, and chill and just be alone.