15. work matters and girls' bedrooms

Skateboarding is so much harder than people make it seem. I can go straight, I can turn, I can turn around at this point, and I can sort of jump up. And that's just within the confinements of the hallway and the laundry room. Turns out a week is not enough to prepare you for the streets.

I let my skateboard roll and hit the wall as I jump off it to take a sip of my whisky and apple juice that I had seated on top of one of the washing machines. Speaking of drinks, I wonder what time it is? I got back from work, had a snack, gave LIzzy and Gwen a hand in getting the apartment ready for Lizzy's birthday party, and went downstairs, so if my calculations are correct, people should start coming over about now.

I wonder if Jeff is coming, since the rest of his band are. Last time I dropped by at Raison, it almost seemed like him and Eva were being friendly towards each other. Although when asked about it all she said was 'I'll let him live, for now.'

I guess I can do five more minutes and then go back upstairs. I grab my skateboard again and attempt to jump on it mid air so that I'd start rolling once I land, like I've seen so many people do so effortlessly, but... "Ouch!" My foot slips and I land on the side of my ankle. Well there goes that. As I limp back upstairs I run into a few familiar faces; some I remember from university, some I know as Lizzy's current or ex coworkers.

"Oh, there you are." Gwen greets me as soon as I walk in.

"Why? Were you looking for me?"

"No, I just noticed you were gone."

"There's a lot of people already. What time is it?" I scan the living room with my eyes; there's probably about twenty people here already.

"Twenty to nine."

"Wow, I didn't realize. I should probably change? Make myself look more presentable for all of our soon to be drunk friends."

"You look fine, Kat. I like this dress," Gwen tugs at my black dress spangled with little different coloured flowers all over.

"Because it looks like I'm wearing something other than all black?"

"Yeah!" She laughs out.

"How's my eyeliner?"

"Sharp and crisp. Could slit a throat or two."

When I reemerge from my bedroom after putting the skateboard away there's even more people, everyone mingling and drinking, and listening to music, and laughing. I look around to see if I can latch myself onto any one of the little groups, and I spot a couple of my friends that Lizzy probably invited more for me than for herself. I start making my way towards them when I nearly bump into a tangle of arms and hair that is Lizzy and Jerry locked in an embrace while he's wishing her a happy birthday.

"Leave some room for Jesus, you guys."

"Kat!" Lizzy whines and swats me as the two of them peel off of each other and fall into a conversation about something.

* * *

"Well, make yourselves at home and have fun!" I wave at a group of three girls I know from my economics class back at UW after they captured me in a group hug and wished me a happy birthday.

"I'm sure we will!"

"Hey, birthday girl."

"Jerry! How's it going?" I return his big smile as he rocks on his feet a little.

"By the looks of it, I'm in for a fun night, so I'd say I'm doing great. But enough about me, we're all here because of you," he pulls me into a big, slightly awkward hug, because he's so much taller than my five feet. "I wish you the happiest birthday you've had so far."