Chen still talked while Mike was solely focused on Victoria. Chen had to snap her fingers in his face.

"Baby, I'm talking to you" she said.

He shook his head and faced her this time.

"Sorry"

He faced Chen then they started talking again.

We all spent the next few minutes talking and getting to know Yinka. It turns out he really worked for a terrorist group. He got recruited when he was six. The conversion saw his potential when they captured his group and had pity on him as a kid. That's why they decided to take him. His dad was the leader of the group and got killed during a war with the agency. He's been in hiding ever since while training with them secretly. He's never met his mom but lives with his aunt here in Lagos.

We've never seen him because he was training secretly with them. The agency was not sure they could trust him until now. He's been fully enrolled in the academy now.

"You're a part of us now then?" Choi said.

"Yeah" Yinka said "I guess so"

"Welcome to the team brother" Mike said, his eyes still rested on Victoria.

"Thanks man"

Everything was going well until we heard gunshots. I scoffed.

"If this is another test by the agency" I said "I'll go crazy"

A look of panic came across all six of their faces.

"I -I don't think so" Yinka frantically looked around

I wasn't buying any of it.

"As if you'd tell us. You're just playing along"

Everyone else got into a state of hysteria. They all kept running away from the scene.

"Everyone's running" Victoria tried pulling me.

I clapped my hands.

"Nice work guys. Well don-"

My words came to a halt when a man fell to the floor with a pool of blood under him. That was when sudden realization hit me. The agency would never kill an innocent civilian all in the name of a test.

I looked behind and saw a bunch of armed men in military uniform. These people are soldiers. We have no affiliation with them.

Why are soldiers killing people? They're supposed to protect us not kill us. But hey! This is Nigeria. What else is new?

More shots fired and many more people fell to their deaths. I stood there rooted to the ground in shock.

"Adaeze, get down!" my friends shouted.

I saw a man aim a gun at me. Yinka got on top of me just in time and shielded me just as the shot fired. My heart was beating fast.

We all laid down flat on the floor. I was in a state of panic. I literally just dodged a bullet...again!

"What do we do now?" Choi asked me.

All of them looked at me.

"Me?" I shrieked "Why me?"

"You're the leader" they all screamed.

I thought of a plan quickly.

"Okay okay. We lay low and crawl to safety. When we get to the toll gates, we make a run for it"

They all nodded.

More gunshots were fired. I trembled after every shot but I had to remind myself to stay strong even though I was dying on the inside. Fear won't get me anywhere. We crawled slowly and carefully. We did our best to avoid the stomps of the running civilians. We got stepped on a few times but it was safer than running. We were almost at the gates.

"Don't be scared" a man shouted with a smile. He raised up the Nigerian flag. "Out of respect for the country, soldiers are not allowed to shoot anyone holding up the country's flag"

He raised the flag high and started to sing the anthem "Arise O compatriots. Nigeria's call obey. To serve our fatherland..."

His song fell short when a bullet pierced through his chest. I gasped in horror as the man fell to his knees before falling face down to the ground. Everything seemed to be in slow motion.

"Oh no" Chen whispered.

"Let's run for it. The coast is clear now" Yinka told us.

He dragged me up and we all ran as fast as we could. As I ran, I turned my head back to see the once peaceful protest ground that was filled with laughter and fun become a battlefield. Smoke filled the air and dead bodies were sprawled on the floor like lifeless dolls. The ones who dared to fight back were shot mercilessly.

Slowly, I watched as each body fell to the ground one by one. My gaze found the man with the flag. His eyes were still open with the flag wrapped around him. The white part of the flag is now completely red.

The whole Nigerian flag is red...it was covered in blood.

it was covered in blood