42. ESME-ORIGINAL FLOWER

Start from the beginning

"You what? Were you using magic in my restaurant, Abbas?" Esme asks, folding her arms on over chest and taking a threatening step towards the boy.

Naeem for his part looks surprised at the accusation. He looks around and sputters again. 

"Don't pretend to be innocent now. You did something illegal, Abbas" Esme forces again, still holding the snake that was struggling to get released but Esme just keeps hitting it with a frying pan every time it comes close to her. 

"I...I really don't know what you are talking about. Please believe me," Naeem says in a surprisingly vulnerable voice. I didn't know the cocky boy could sound so helpless.

"Believe you, Abbas?" Esme asks in harsh mocking tone and throws the snake at him. Naeem catches it and stares at it with something akin to wonder and horror. 

"Like you believed in me?" Esme asks in a barely audible voice. Naeem pauses and slowly looks up to Esme and in that moment, a multitude of emotion crosses his face, most prominent of them being hurt and anger.

He looks back down to his lap where the snake was slithering and refuses to answer Esme's question or accusation. Esme just stands there with a look of barely hidden scorn on her face and takes a deep breath.

"Watch your actions, Abbas. Daddy dearest can't always save your punky little self," Esme says and kneels down next to my chair.

"You okay there, Ice queen?" she asks with a smile, gently brushing against my still shivering hands. 

I clutch her hand tightly in between mine as if they were my anchor in a stormy sea and feel a sob threatening to break out. I blink my eyes to keep the tears in. 

I didn't want to cry in front of nobles. I didn't want to cry in front anyone. 

"Hey, Izzy? Can you speak?" Esme asks again, her beautiful face clouded with concern.

"Yes," a short reply was all I could manage.

I look around my surroundings to find a distraction. Something that could divert my attention from what I just experienced. 

Akira. I look towards Akira who was still looking at Naeem in horror. He wasn't saying anything. Just quietly looking Naeem.

"If you want we can go to my house. It's just upstairs," Esme says again, gently tugging on my hands. 

"No, I am fine, Esme. Thank you for the offer," I manage to tell her without my voice trembling.

She doesn't look very convinced. But doesn't voice any of the opinions she might be having. She just bites her bottom lip and looks back at Naeem and then at me.

"Are you still frightened by him and his damned lizard?" She asks while her eyes narrow at Naeem who was still looking down. He was still holding the snake in his lap.

I look down at my hands. The have stopped shivering.

Was I? Afraid of Naeem? 

Of course!!! why wouldn't I? 

 What on Sol's temple was he doing to me? 

My reply must have been delayed as Esme started to answer for me. "There is no  need to be scared of him. I can kick him out if you want," she says sincerely.

I looked up to see her face again. She genuinely looked ready to kick him out. But I don't think she can. There will be consequences of kicking out a noble from any establishment. I couldn't possibly let her take that big of a risk. 

A booming noise startles me out of my thoughts. 

It sounded like a horn. What was that?

Just then, there was a flurry of movement near the door and a Farishta dressed in their usual all-black outfit barged in. But this one had a horn held tightly in his hands.

 He keeps the door held open behind him and I see the dark streets outside.

"An Israfil?" Akira's alarmed voice says next to me.

Why Israfil? What happened?

"An intruder has been spotted on the outer city.  Citizens must be back to their houses within an hour. Lock the doors and windows. Any suspicious activity must be reported to the nearest rune guard," he announces in an ominous tone and then promptly disappears into the waiting darkness that has been slowly descending outside the glowing restaurant.

Why did it suddenly get so dark outside?

GLOSSARY

*Original flowers (Wonhwa) :  A class of all female warriors in 16th century Silla, one of the three kingdoms of Korea. They were selected based on beauty and skill. Later on this class was abolished and replaced with all male class called the Hwarang. Later on the term was coined to mean female spiritual guides for Buddhist warriors.

*Israfil: The angel who blows the trumpet to signal the end of the world and Day of Judgement. Often considered to be the angel of music and resurrections. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So how did you like this chapter? Please leave comments