Chapter 1: Life Is Hard

LUCY

"Ughh," I groan. "How much further, Happy?"

I follow my flying companion through the intensifying heat, doing my best to keep my composure.

"Just a little more, Lucy! We're nearing the village," he yells as if to encourage me to go further.

He has been telling me that since 10 minutes ago. But I guess it's better to have him than journeying with no one.

A few more minutes in walking, until I finally see those rusted bars that welcomed us from the hot forest. I fan myself with one hand, while wiping away sweat from the other.

"We here, Happy?" I asked, hoping that this was the village that could help us with hiding from the public.

He turns gaze towards me from the rusted gates, eyes filled with fatigue as well. "We can stay here for a week or so. Put a hood on, Lucy."

I wipe another bead of sweat away from my jaw, raise my hood on, and secure the heavy backpack on my shoulder. Happy comes flying towards me, hiding inside the raised hood.

"You know," I pant, struggling to throw my chosen words out. "That it's hot, right? So please don't go hiding in there."

He flew back out with a pouting face. "Ugh fine. I don't wanna bathe in sweat, anyway."

"Nobody would," I walk towards the open bars and enter a busy village. Their noise could be heard from outside.

"Uhm, excuse me sir. Do you know if there would be an inn here somewhere?" I say to a black-haired male. I wait for an answer, yet he suddenly starts taking off his clothes.

Oh my crap!

I cover my mouth with one hand and take a run for it. Is this the life away from the city!? Strippers can go around stripping out of nowhere!?

Or is that guy just nuts!?

My eyes wander as my feet stop running. In the inside, I am surprised at how modern this place is. Just like what Happy had said, this village is one of the few places an advanced human would likely survive in.

"Lucy!"

I turn around and find my winged friend flying towards me.

"Where'd you go?"

"Happy! This place is pretty big. Are you sure it's a village?"

His arm scratches the back of his head. "Not really. To be honest, this place is a town that's making its way to be a city. It's pretty modernized in some parts so we can live here."

I nod. "I see.."

"Anyways, Lucy. I heard there was a an inn in the-"

I feel my feet shake, my head pounding, while my whole body starts to feel heavy.

My body drops to the ground, almost feeling as cold as ice.

"Lucy!"

All that I hear before passing out was the cries coming from Happy, and the people around me.

TIME SKIP
"Is she fine?"

"She's pretty cold, Happy."

"Thank goodness you were there, Natsu! I don't know how to thank you."

"It's fine, it's fine."

Voices echo through my ears, as if to go along with the blood flow.

I carefully open my heavy eyelids, seeing blurry shades of pink and blue circles. After a bit, my clouded vision has finally cleared. I find a man, probably of my age, facing me, along with Happy.

I carefully sit myself up, 'cause I still feel rather fatigued. "I guess I fainted, huh, Happy?"

"By the way, Lucy," Happy points towards the young man on the other side of the bed. "That's Natsu. You may not remember, but he was a VIP at one of your concerts. We became friends, and I thought of hiding in this town 'cause he lives here."

"So, you're Lucy Heartfilia, huh?" Natsu asks.

I nod, but then inch closer to Happy, remembering the event that happened earlier. "Y-you're not a s-stripper, are you?"

"Why would you think that?"

"'Cause e-earlier-"

He laughs. "Pfft- ahahaha!! I think you met Gray Fullbuster! Don't worry, he'll be the only stripper you'll find here."

"O-oh..."

"By the way, you can stay by my place for a week or so."

"T-thank you.." My eyes look at him with suspicion. "But..you're not secretly a psychopath and is planning to kill me and Happy, are you?"

He shakes his head. "No no! Do I even look like one!?"

"Uhm..." I start thinking, processing his looks and trying to categorize him.

Suddenly, Happy flies in front of me. "Sorry Natsu. It's her first time away from home so she's really cautious."

"O-oh!" Natsu laughs, and flashes a grin at me. "Don't worry. You can count on me!"

"I-if you say so.." I look to another direction. It's my first time being in direct contact with a man, besides those from my family.

I stand from the bed. "Where's your house at?"

"You're already in my place," Natsu says, chuckling. "And I already put your stuff in the wardrobe."

I look around and find a wardrobe next to a wooden desk. Just then, a thought crosses my mind, making me look down on my clothes.

I was wearing comfortable short pants and a hoodie on the journey , but when I stood from the bed, I could feel the air circulate lightly all over my whole body.

Who changed my clothes!? Crap crap!!!

I hear another chuckle come from Natsu. I look up and see him smiling as if embarassed by something.

"I'm sorry, Lucy," he started. "Happy told me you needed a change of clothes so-"

I don't wanna hear it!!! Oh dear potatoes, nothing naughty happened, right!? I can't stand the thought of a male stranger changing my clothes and seeing me naked!!

"I let my friend, Lisanna, change your clothes. They should be in the laundry right now."