Chapter 48

"We've been at it for hours," Cassidy said. "Can we take a break?"

She had fixed the diagnostic panel a couple of hours ago, running different levels of scans. So far, they were on level three. Four and five were next. It required Cassidy to monitor all of the data herself. She was getting a migraine reading the words go across the screen at two-hundred words per minute. Sara sat down on the floor.

"Sure, when it's done," Sara said. "How you doing, Phil?"

She had learned the wire-guy's name, and that was about as far as she got with him.

"Almost finished," he said. "These were clean cuts. Makes it simple."

"You're welcome for that," Cassidy said.

"I appreciate it."

She would have rolled her eyes if she wasn't so focused on the screen.

"You know, there isn't a huge difference between level three, four, and five."

"Are you being serious, or are you just trying to get out of work?"

"A little of both. Honestly, whoever designed the TransArks could have done better with that. They're almost identical. It rescans the same systems on top of the new stuff. It's a waste of time."

"Maybe you can fix that when we land," Sara said. "Make your own modifications."

"That would be a bad idea. You don't want to give me that kind of power. Mechanics wouldn't be able to grasp anything I change. I'm very unorthodox."

"If there are no more mechanics left alive, it won't matter," Sara said.

"That's... a different way of looking at it."

"Just saying. If you want to have fun messing with the ship's systems, go for it. As long as you don't kill anyone."

"No promises. I can do a lot here. If this is the last ship out there... we need to make it count."

"Why do you think I've fought so hard to keep this thing afloat?"

"Patched a lot of holes, that's for damn sure."

The scan completed. Cassidy sighed.

"Nothing. This is hopeless. I wanna sit down."

"You? Sit still? Who are you, and what have you done with Cassidy?"

"Cassidy is pooped."

She sat on the floor next to Sara.

"We'll find it," Sara said. "Even if we have to look for it ourselves. We'll catch it."

"I can't do my mods under these conditions. I thought getting on this ship would make things fun. Interesting, yes, but far from fun. Your ceremony was cut short, and... you know."

"I'd go back and change things if I could. At least you have a chance to do that still."

"What happens when it's over? Do things go back to semi-normal?"

"Yeah, that's how it works. Until something else happens. Something will always happen. Things don't stay normal for long."

"Not around here, they don't. First the blast, now this creature? Where did it come from?"

"I don't know. I've never seen anything like it."

"Neither have I, and I had access to almost all kinds of information at the colony. Either it's that highly classified, or it's a new species. It would be more interesting if it wasn't trying to kill us."