Chapter 46

The hyena snarled, prompting Aiden to step back.

"That doesn't make sense. Hyenas are in Africa. This place is a little too green to be Africa, isn't it?"

"I don't think they care about that," Vera said.

"We can have a decent conversation without getting messy, can't we?"

Aiden took a step forward. The hyena snapped its teeth at him. He jumped back.

"Then again, maybe not."

More of them came out of the woods, circling the duo and Juno. They were blatantly laughing at their prey.

"They shouldn't be this aggressive!" James said. "They're scavengers, not hunters!"

"Tell that to the alpha," Vera said. "He looks hungry."

She reached into Aiden's pockets.

"Hey!"

"Don't you have another cornade?"

"No, I only carried one. I wasn't ending up a stick of dynamite like Gino."

The other hyenas kept their distance. James knew what was happening. They were leaving the alpha to confront them.

"It's not a hunt," James said. "It's a territorial dispute. They want us to leave."

"That would be great if we could actually leave," Aiden said, looking at the hyenas behind them.

James looked at Juno. He looked like he was ready to fight.

"Damn it. I didn't want to do this, but.. don't have a choice."

"What?" Vera asked.

"Juno's gonna have to settle it... with his teeth."

"Can't you just shoot them or something?"

"Then the rest of them will attack you guys. There's nothing we can do. Juno has to fight."

"And if he dies?" Aiden asked.

"If he fails... run."

"My calves can't take this..."

"Juno, I'm sorry, buddy," James said. "It's your turn. Defend."

Juno barred his teeth in response. The hyena charged.

"Guys, get back!"

"Ah!"

Vera tripped and fell. Aiden picked her up and dragged her out of the way before the two canines could collide into them. They went sliding into the middle of the circle, the hyena snapping at Juno. He pushed it off and shot up to attack. The hyena hopped out of the way. Juno slid and went in for another attack. It hopped out of the way again.

"Hyenas learned to dodge lions," Aiden said. "It'll be tough to catch it."

The hyena moved out of the way again. When Juno tried to stop, the hyena ran in and snapped at his ear. Juno yelped. The hyena ripped off a part of his ear. Juno reared back.

"You got this, boy!" James encouraged.

Juno charged again. The hyena hopped away. When the hyena rushed in to take another bite, Juno rolled on his back to snap back. He caught the hyena's leg and chomped down. It screamed and bit Juno's snout. They let go of each other to lick their wounds. The hyena limped with three good legs, circling. Juno followed the hyena's movement, keeping his distance. Vera and Aiden could only get so close to the hyenas keeping them inside.

"Can he win this?" Aiden asked James.

"Juno was trained for this," James said. "He knows what to look for."