Chapter 45

Sara had mourned enough. She checked herself at the Med ward and received a simple spray for her pink skin. When that was checked off, she found Cassidy chatting it up with a crew member. He seemed relieved when Sara asked for her.

"Sure," she said. "We'll finish this later."

Sara was sure he didn't want to. Cassidy walked with her out into the corridor.

"What's the plan?"

"The ship has a self-diagnostic program that runs every twenty-four hours. We've been in Earth's orbit for almost double that. I think it's damaged, as well."

"I can fix it. It's going to take some time," Cassidy said. "What will you do?"

"I'm sticking with you. If it attacks, I've got your back."

"You have a sword and a gun. What, you gonna cut my arm off?"

"If it comes to that, then yes."

"That's reassuring."

"I wish I had something better to tell you, but as Captain, I won't lie to my crew. This creature is dangerous. It could be waiting for us."

"Or we could just float endlessly until it kills all of us," Cassidy added. "I don't think there's an alternative."

"You're quick."

"I've done the research. It's better to not argue with your superior. Things get done faster that way."

"Good. Now that we're being honest with each other... I need you to do something for me."

They stepped on the elevator. The doors closed.

"What's that?"

Sara took Cassidy's hand and put a pistol in it.

"If it gets me, you need to shoot me."

"What? You want me to shoot you?"

"It takes over a person's body. Maria said something about it killing her because she was a bad host. I think it was her autism. It did something to her head and took her over. If that happens to me... aim for my head."

"Why are you asking me to do this?"

"You do what needs to be done. Your personal feelings don't get in your way. I can't ask Tim. He would never pull the trigger."

The doors opened. Cassidy put the holster on her uniform and put the gun inside.

"Are you sure it's a good idea?"

"You're the only one I trust to do this," Sara said. "You're logical. You know what will happen if it takes me over."

"It will use you," she said. "Don't worry. I won't let that happen."

"Thank you."

~~~

Mark didn't move. Austin had him in a rough spot.

"Let's talk about this," Mark said. "I was just trying to--"

"To what? Dig up dirt on me so you can use me?"

"Austin, how many times do I have to say it? I'm trying to help you. I thought looking at your records would help."

"You should have minded your own business."

Blaez and Edon growled.

"They'll attack you if you hurt me," Mark said.

"Doesn't matter. You'll be dead."

Austin reached down and ripped Mark's scabbard. He tossed it behind him.

"Now. Take off the ring."