Chapter 12: Winners & Losers

Start from the beginning

Why did everything have to be so difficult? Could I ever win at this?

I came up to Bea's house and parked in my usual spot. I realized that I had been finding myself at her house often yet only for a few minutes each time. Besides the dinner with her parents that went awfully, I hadn't been in her house for more than an hour.

Through the dimness of the night, I saw her outline while she sat on the roof, legs pulled tight to her chest and chin resting on her knees. Pushing my keys around in my hands, I walking up to her and gulped.

"Bea?" I uneasily asked. She shifted slightly so I could then see her face. Her face was red, like she had been holding her emotions back or had just got done expressing them in a loud way.

"You can come up here," Bea murmured quietly. "I need you to come up here," her voice was rough and sounded sore.

"Give me a sec," I held up my pointed finger and made my way over to the trunk of the tree. There was only one low limb that I could only hope would hold my weight. I pushed myself up and grabbed a higher branch, pulling with all my strength so I could sit on it. I continued my climb up through the tree just enough so I could jump onto the roof with a thud. I hoped that no one inside was able to hear that thud.

I sat down gently next to Bea and her kept form. My legs stretched out and my arms holding me up, I stared at the side of Bea's face.

"Did you do anything when I left?" She asked as if she knew I really did do something. I sat forward and closer to her.

"We talked a little more. More like arguing, though. It didn't end well," I explained. Bea sucked in a gulp of air and looked at me. The moonlight bounced off the wet tears soaked into her cheeks.

"I'm sorry I put a wedge between you guys," she muttered disdainfully. "It seems like that's the only thing I can accomplish in a relationship with other people."

"Bea that's not -" For what felt like the millionth time, I was interrupted.

"It is true, Asher. Look at you guys." I let her take a moment to breathe after exclaiming that.

"I asked my dad about Quentin's brother's case," she suddenly piped up before sniffling.

"You what?" I exclaimed, scooting closer and gently grabbing her chin to make her face me. She bit her bottom lip nervously.

"He's such a liar. But he actually told me the truth about that case. He admitted to me that he was in favor of the men who murdered Quentin's brother. He let them go because he beloved they had made a little mistake." Her voice was full of pure disgust towards her father. I couldn't think of anything to do or say, so I hugged her close to me. She let her head fall onto my shoulder.

"If it's the last thing I do, I'm going to make it up to Quentin. I'll find those people," she muttered. I sighed at her reaction.

"What will you do, Bea? You can't take them to court now, it's been settled. There would be no point," I assured her but I knew it didn't help. She was overthinking it just as it seemed she always did.

"I have to do something! It's a terrible feeling, Asher. You just don't get it. Quentin hates me," I could feel her body give way as she leaned forward and let her legs dangle off the edge if the roof.

"He's mad at what your dad did, Bea. Not what you did. He can't take it out on you," I told her, pulling her back away from the edge.

"I still feel awful," she said quietly. I couldn't help but wish I could do something for her. I wanted to take that pain away that she felt for something that was out of her reach. I wanted to fix it for her. I knew that wouldn't be the right thing to do.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked Bea suddenly. I didn't even realize I had asked until she glanced up at me.

"What?" She replied, propping her head on her band.

"Why do you overthink so much?" My question was simple yet hard for her to answer. She say there in silence for a moment.

"I always have," she muttered. Bea was tired, I could tell. She seemed like she could pass out at any time.

Before I could suggest getting her inside to bed, my phone buzzed in my pocket and I reached for it, yanking it out and looking at my text message from Ben.

You and Bea lost. Hah. You're making dinner next week :p

I rolled my eyes and chuckled slightly. I would have to watch the rest of that game on the internet later. I decided to wait and tell Bea when she wanted to know. I didn't want to change the subject of anything she could be cooking up in that head of hers. Her eyes were opening and closing slowly, a sign she was torn between sleeping and staying awake.

"Why don't you go to bed? You look like you could fall off the roof you're so tired." I stood up and stuck my hand out do her to grab. With a frown on her face, Bea lowered her head before she looked up and grabbed my hand, letting me pull her up. We walked up to her window and stepped inside.

I helped her into bed and made sure she didn't need anything before bending down over top of her head and leaning down, pressing a warm and lingering kiss in her forehead. Her hands grabbed my shirt and tugged me down so I landed on her while she hugged me tightly. I wrapped my arms around the best I could.

"Thanks, Ash." She mumbled into my chest. I knew I didn't need to reply. She knew I'd do anything for her.

"Hey, what about the game?" She asked when I reached the window to leave again. I turned back and laughed awkwardly.

"Looks like we better learn to cook..." I trailed off. She chuckled.

"I'll kill you later for making me bet with you," She promised. "Night, Asher."

I smiled at her in the darkness. "Night, Bea."

____________

Picture us from We Heart It!

So happy to get that all out now. It's going to be an adventure with this book, I can already tell.

Comment, vote, and follow because I follow back and it makes me feel like I'm not too awful at what I do. Love you guys!