Chapter 1 : A new beginning , a new life.

10th of January of 1924

The sun crept from the window into the guest's room , waking up from her slumber the bed's occupant. The little porcupine slowly stood up from the warm sheets and walked at the speed of a turtle into the living room in search of the kitchen , still not fully aware of where she was.

She suddenly stopped , the place she was now in had a couple of small cushions distributed around , clear windows with fancy looking curtains that were open , some classical old paintings decorating the walls and fine furnishings that made the room look humble and luxurious at the same time ; The young lady , now completely awake and aware , only sighed at the sight , this was definitely the place were her friend was living.

Avoiding thinking about how much the rent costed for a place like this one , she walked into the kitchen (which was right next to the living room and the front door) while her eyes examined her surroundings ; in the entrance was her suitcase with the newspapers laying around the floor , in the hanger of the door were her coat and scarf (some of the only good clothes she had) and pushed aside to a corner by the door were a couple of unopened letters hiding there. The small porcupine approached it , picked them up from the floor and observed them with attention , there were a few names that she didn't recognize in the envelopes but it seemed that they were all for the owner of the apartment.

She left the letters on the wooden kitchen table and opened the drawers next to the sink , the sound of metal pieces crashing against each other greeted her ears , she pulled out a spoon and a fork , then closed the drawer. She then proceeded to pry in another one and she discovered some pale plates resting there , the lassie grabbed one and began searching ingredients for her breakfast ; Sadly , she found out that her dear friend hadn't restocked her food supplies before the porcupine's arriving , the only things that were left were a bag of instant coffee , a bit of sugar and a bottle of milk (that the lass prayed for it to still be in good condition). She proceeded to pick up the kettle that was resting nearby , filled it up with water from the sink , turned on the oven and left the kettle there while she waited for the liquid to start boiling ; She directed her sight to one of the windows and a semi-translucid reflection stared at her back , the reflection showed a young female porcupine , she seemed to be in her early twenties , she had a frail looking body that made stand out the immense tangle of crimson quills that reached the end of her back and that it was covered with white dandruffs , which was once compared with a strawberry ice cream decorated with snowflakes , the clothes she was wearing were old hand me -downs that were bigger than her actual size and that included with her fondness for "masculine" sports like soccer with other things made her be qualified as "unfeminine" by her former peers , her face was covered by her long "hair" and behind her "bangs" there were two little dark eyes , which gave off an anxious and tired sensation with one look , like if their owner was a deer at the beginning of hunting season .

The lass broke eye contact with her reflection when she heard the kettle whistling loudly , so she turned around , turned off the oven and poured some of the hot clear water into a tiny cup she found laying around. Then , she opened the bag and putted a bit of the instant coffee into the cup , when she started mixing it with the metal spoon the strong scent of the drink invaded the kitchen , followed with a sensation of nostalgia and bittersweet melancholy. The little lady picked up the milk , and after giving it a quick sniff to confirm that it wasn't spoiled , she poured some of it into the liquid to cool it down a little and for the final touch , she added a bit of sugar to placate a little the bitter flavor of the drink. The lassie wasn't much of a coffee drinker , simply preferring the tea as part of her breakfast , but that doesn't mean that she despised the idea of drinking it from time to time.