Precarious

Chapter Twelve: Precarious

precarious: dangerously lacking in stability; liable to failure; dependent of the will of another

~*~

The house was quiet save the noises of the clock ticking on the wall and the fridge humming in the kitchen. Eyes narrowed, lips pursed -- Baekhyun strategized his next move. Sitting across the table from Baekhyun was Jongdae, who currently had his eyes closed in boredom. "Make your move already," the brunet grumbled under his breath for what seemed like the hundredth time. He couldn't understand why Baekhyun was taking the game so seriously when he wasn't even playing with his heart and soul. Yet everytime it was Baekhyun's turn, Baekhyun spent at least a minute deciding his next move as if Jongdae was plotting some secret attack.

"Don't fucking rush me," Baekhyun snapped, finally moving his rook to the right four spaces.

Jongdae's eyes opened at the sound of the chess piece landing on the glass board and look at the playing field for about ten seconds before moving his knight, a move that Baekhyun had been prepared for. Just as Baekhyun captured the knight with his bishop, the doorbell rang.

The second Baekhyun opened the door, his guest thrust out a gift bag to him. "Here, take this. This is for you, my lovely Baekhyun." Puzzled, Baekhyun accepted the bag and allowed Kyungsoo to enter into his home. The second Jongdae saw Kyungsoo and the item in the smaller boy's arms, he tried to hide but Kyungsoo had already spotted the brunet and marched right over to him. Kyungsoo ignored his friend's subtle head shake. Thrusting the gift box toward Jongdae, Kyungsoo broke into a grin, "Happy Birthday!"

A soft sigh escaped Jongdae's lips as he reluctantly accepted the gift. "Thanks," he muttered. "How did you find me?"

Hearing the news for the first time, Baekhyun approached Jongdae, "I told him. I didn't realize you were hiding. Nor did I know it was your birthday." What day was it anyway? Baekhyun glanced at the calendar on the wall.

"Open it," Kyungsoo sat down, blinking innocently at the brunet. Cautiously, Jongdae removed the lid of the box expecting something to leap out or squirt him in the face. Fortunately nothing of that sort occurred. Inside the box was a white t-shirt.

"Idiot," Baekhyun read with a smirk. "Nice one, Kyungsoo."

Jongdae lifted the shirt up and held it against his torso when he noticed the back. There was a number 1 printed big and bold in black ink. "Idiot 1? Are you Idiot 2?" Jongdae raised a brow at Kyungsoo who was already shaking his head.

No way.

Baekhyun immediately eyed the bag hanging from his left hand. Exchanging a quick glance with Kyungsoo, Baekhyun reached in and pulled out a black t-shirt. "What is this?" Baekhyun demanded, shaking the shirt in his grasp. He tossed it at Kyungsoo, "I am not wearing this!"

"Hey!" Kyungsoo gently patted the shirt. "You should be grateful when someone gives you a gift."

"Oh really?" Baekhyun scoffed. "So if I gave you my shit you would be grateful?"

Kyungsoo nodded enthusiastically, "Of course. It's one-of-a-kind from the ass of Byun Baekhyun. Why wouldn't I be grateful?"

"Stop it please," Jongdae groaned, covering his ears. He did not enjoy being in between two guys discussing about feces and where they exited from. To Kyungsoo, Jongdae smiled, "Thanks for the shirt."

Kyungsoo gently laid the shirt on the coffee table before taking out a handheld confetti cannon, "I--"

"Whoa!" Baekhyun shouted in alarm. He pointed a finger at Kyungsoo, "You better not."