Chapter 17: Smoke and Sweat

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!

WHAT'S EVERYONE BEING FOR HALLOWEEN?!??!?! OR WHAT'S BEEN SOME OF YOUR FAV COSTUMES YOU'VE SEEN SO FAR???

Don't forget to vote and leave a million comments on this chapter if you're feeling the SPOOKY FADE VIBES TODAY!!!!!!!

***

A tarnhelm is a magical helmet that will allow you to become invisible. Any internal sound in your body will be silenced by its magic, but if you create any outward audible noise, you will be heard. Add a few sprays of the scentless potion to conceal your smell.

The tarnhelm in Romeo's backpack was a level up from the one he had showed me and Death's gym. Although it still resembled some sort of spy gear, it wasn't as bulky, and I didn't feel like a Lego character.

As I picked up the tarnhelm and placed it onto my head, I laughed to myself, thinking about when I had tried it on in Death's gym with a protective vest, and how Death and picked me up like a piñata in front of all the reapers. At the time, I hadn't found it funny, but now that Death was gone at least in the physical sense, I missed those times he would tease me.

I missed how he would train me and never treat me like a lesser partner. He'd treat me like an equal. He'd treat me like an enemy. And that's how I learned how to fight, but I'd still had so much to learn, and we been so pressed for time. Being in his past made me think of all the fighting knowledge he had yet to teach me.

Standing in front of the mirror in my fancy Victorian room, I realized with an increase of my pulse that I was in fact invisible. When I slid off the helmet, I reappeared in my reflection, and nearly gasped. My dress looks like something from a horror film. The tears from deaths claws left my bodice almost completely broken, held together by a few threads. Taking off the Tarnhelm, I disposed of the gown in the corset, which left a thin undergown, leaving practically nothing to the imagination.

I searched around the room for something to put over my under things, but the room was as bare as can be, and I didn't want to miss death and aces conversation. Left with no other choice and putting all of my trust into this damn device and the scentless potion I'd sprayed all over my body, I reluctantly snuck out of the room into the dark hallway with my backpack strapped over my shoulders. Leo was nowhere in sight, but I knew he was nearby as a crept Down a wall into another hallway, where he was conversing with another knight.

The tall, shadowy hallways appeared to grow darker the further I went for my room, like the torches on either side of the walls couldn't touch certain parts of the darkness. It made me feel paranoid, like the shadows around me weren't just shadows. Like I could be caught any second for sneaking around.

I made it down a staircase without bumping into anybody and navigated the way which Leo took me, when I started to have second thoughts about all of this. There was still time to turn around. There's still time to crawl back into bed and try to catch up on some Z's. Let's be honest, falling asleep would've been another Adventure I was not looking forward to.

I'd made it back to the dining hall, when I realized Death an Ace had to move somewhere else. There were no servants yet sweeping up the mess or putting away the food, so I snuck in and shoveled whatever I can get my hands on into my mouth to eat. If anyone had walked into the room it would've looked like a ghost was eating at the table, probably something straight out of Ghostbusters, but I had to get something in my belly. I was losing energy and I had some snooping to do.

Sneaking back out into the hallway, I wandered around close to the shadows of the wall in case a guard came and saw me sneaking around. My first assurance that the helmet worked was when Helvius appeared from nothing at the center of the hallway, futzing around with a piece of paper in his hand that appear to be a checklist by the way he was muttering to himself and crossing things off.