There she was, on the forest's edge, within his reach. For years he's looked after her from a distance. Faith. She often wandered through his domain with no fear of him but why? Did she remember him? Does she know he would never cause her harm? Of course not. How could she? There is no way she could know who he was. But that didn't stop him from wishing. He didn't know why but he wanted to protect her. He wanted to provide for her.

"Faith! What do you think you are doing out there?!? Get away from the forest! Goodness me, you are so brainless at times." A shrieking voice called out. The hair on Adam's spine stood on end and he let out low growl. How dare she talk to my princess in such a way! Wait. My princess? Where did that come from? Adam slowly sunk deeper into the shadows as another woman stepped into view. Her dress flaunted too much skin and she wore too much powder upon her face. She had a forced beauty about her, not like Faith's beauty. Faith had a gentle attractiveness, a modest loveliness that drew one in like a magic force.

He stood by watching as they spoke to each other and started away. That is her sister? He thought disbelievingly. He slowly turned away and began the trek back to his palace. Sunset was still a ways off by the time he reached his home.

"My Lord Prince, how was your stroll? No trouble, I hope," Madam Lenora inquired as Adam ambled in. Lenora was his nurse as a baby, then governess as a child, and now manages his household servants. The enchantress's curse doomed not only him but everyone under his roof. All his servants, guards, and councilman changed as well. Madam Lenora, for instance, turned into a fairy. She was one of the few that turned into another creature though. Most were just frozen into statues.

"Adam, where did you go? Please tell me you didn't go to the village again!" Her voice held a reprimanding tone. She was the only person who dared to speak to him in such a way. He just shook her off and climbed up the grand marble staircase. He heard her huff and fly away.

Everything in the palace was lavishly decorated. The floors were a dark marble, as were the stairways, and the walls were a cold, smokey stone. Chandeliers hung from the ceiling but were never lit. There were large windows surrounding every outer wall but the heavy curtains were always drawn. The brightly colored paintings hung on the walls but were cast into shadow. Darkness overran the palace.

Adam went into the throne room. His father's throne sat alone on a high platform. Adam had not been king for tow days when the witch came. She came in the guise of an old crone. Adam could still remember everything about her visit.

He had been sitting upon the throne as king for the first time and it was thrilling. Finally, he had control, he was lord over all. The feeling of power was sensational. His father had lectured and taught him everything but now the old man was dead and Adam couldn't care less about what he had been taught. He was king. The lord's of the land came to swear loyalty to him. As the ceremony was taking place the crone appeared.

"My Lord King, I plead for your help. I have lost everything but you have all you could ever need. Please, help me," she croaked out. Adam took one look at her and scoffed.

"Take this filth out to the streets where she belongs." The guards moved to do their new kings bidding but the hag spoke up again.

"My Lord, think before you so hastily cast me aside. Your father never once turned away any in need of help nor did his father. Do not so readily tarnish your family's good name." But her warnings were lost on Adam. He looked into her eyes and laughed.

"Crone, my father is dead and his father as well. I have no desire to carry on with their generosity that has left us with half our treasury in the hands of the undeserving poor. If you have the misfortunes of poverty then keep it to yourself and don't bother me with it! Take her away before she stains the carpets!" Adam saw Madam Lenora's disappointment that he would act in such a manner but at moment he saw no fault in his behavior. That is, until the sting of magic hit him. He looked up and in the crone's place there was a gorgeous young woman, fine silk replaced the tattered rags and the gray, matted hair became long, fiery red tresses. She was absolutely ravishing.

"King Adam, you are a disgrace to the entire Kingdom! You have proven you are not fit to rule. When you have proven yourself then you shall be restored to your rightful place as king. However, if you cannot you shall be cursed to roam the lands as the foul monster you are."

The monster I am. She told me to prove myself. Prove what? That I've changed? It's been over two hundred years! What more does she want?!? Adam picked up the nearest object and threw it against the stone wall. The chair shattered into tiny bits, but that still didn't easy his anger.

"My Lord? Are you alright?" A smooth voice drifted across the room from the servants entrance. Charles hurried over. He was Adam's personal butler and a support ever since the curse began. He was the least resentful since he turned into an elf. His features resembled those of a cat, very sharp and pointed. He also moved like one, always running on his toes and leaping about. He did his best to keep morale high and spirits happy. "Come now my Prince, what did that chair ever do to you?" Charles chided good-naturedly but Adam only growled. "I see we aren't very happy today. Didn't you get to see your lass?"

"You are pushing your luck Charles," Adam warned. The only people who knew about Faith were Charles and Lenora. Adam didn't want anyone else to know. Sighing, Adam brushed past him and ran up to his room, his sanctuary. He closed the door and went out to the balcony. No one was in his forest tonight. Winter was imminent and there would be no travelers for a few months yet. Except Faith. She would come into the forest tonight, she always did. She will go to the spot I found her and cry, cry for the loss of her mother and sister, cry for her own loneliness. Adam wanted to comfort her every time he saw her there but knew he wasn't allowed. She couldn't see him in his human body. It was against the rules of the curse. He would immediately transform back into the beast and scare her away. But I have to see her again.