Chapter 25: Darkness Will Vanish

✧Misma POV✧

"Now!" Gwyn declared. My eyes fluttered shut, a bolt of panic piercing my stomach. I felt Rhysand place his hand on my shoulder, stepping closer, the scent of citrus and sea filling my nostrils.

I had no time for further thoughts, the stray of moonlight fell directly on me. High Lord Rhysand dropped a burning matched he had just lighted and it fell into the bowl. A fuzzing noise sounded, making my eardrums vibrate.

I let a bone shattering scream escape my mouth. Holy gods.

Smoke from the bowl swirled around me. It was hot on my skin – burned me. It was boiling hot air. Tendrils of smoke grazed my skin, burning through he outer layer. Waves of pain washed over me, a scream burning in my throat when my head felt dizzy.

Everything around me disappeared. Everything went bright. There was an explosion of light.

Just light. Bright golden light surrounding me.

No Rhysand. No Gwyn. No House of Wind. No Velaris.

Just bright white light mixed with golden strays. A dome of light around me.

I felt liquid run down my face, my neck, my shoulders, my whole body. I believed it was sweat. Time stopped and it felt like I was naked, kneeling there in the grass. I lifted my hands and looked at the rings. My hands were covered in the mud, the golden rings shone through them. A kernel of energy exploded in my chest, warmth spreading over my body and making me feel utterly powerful.

I touched the rings, a divine rush dashed through me, heat erupting inside of me once again.

I took a deep breath, throwing my head back. My arms started to burn and it felt like they were ripped open. Small golden traces appeared on them, stretching over them, over my legs, my arms. My tights disappeared — I now just sat there in my dress. The traces curled over my legs and arms like Illyrian tattoos just not in black but soft and thin golden linings.

The burning went away but the light dome was still there, creeping in on me. I looked around touching my arms and legs and running my fingers over the traces. I wanted to feel ever line. I wanted to feel my changing skin. I wanted to feel me.

Darkness will vanish and you will rise........Only then her powers can flourish....

I sighed, running a hand through my hair and looking upwards. My head and hair were wet with sweat.

Slowly the light started to vanish, getting less and less and after another blink Rhysand's face appeared over my head.

His eyes were wide and he looked down at me, his violet eyes gleaming.

I was kneeling in the middle of the grass, my head thrown back and staring up at him. My head was sweaty and my skin now covered in golden lines, curls and swirls. I was panting heavily and in the corner of my eye I saw Gwyn approach us. Some power roared within me, a cold sweat breaking out all over my skin.

"Thank you, High Lord," I murmured, my voice coming out hoarse. Small tendrils of smoke still left the bowl, the mixture of herbs nearly gone.

The branches and leaves beside me crunched, the warmth of Gwyn's body reaching me. "That was....scary but absolutely impressive!" Gwyn expressed. I turned my head and looked at her, slowly trying to get up.

"You look....stunning by the way. More beautiful than ever before," she hummed, examining me and once again I ran my fingers over my skin.

"You really outshone everything tonight, Misma," Rhysand said, wiping a hand over his face.