"Tell her thanks."

Green kissed her. "You can tell her yourself. And we'll get him next time. Until then, I feel I have some making up to do for missing our handfasting."

"Mm," Vanessa said. "You're going to have to work pretty hard to make up for that."

"I'll take that as a challenge," he replied and pushed her over on her back. "I love you."

Vanessa smiled into his kiss, hooked her foot under his calf and reversed their positions. "I love you too."

Meanwhile on the other side of town...

He woke up to a high-pitched shriek and tried to get to his feet. What had happened? Where was he?

In front of him a pretty woman with bright red hair and freckles was staring at him from over the window of a car. He looked around. He was lying in the backseat of a convertible. How had he ended up there?

He tried to get up, but his legs weren't working right and he fell over.

"Oh my god!" the woman gasped. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to scare you, here let me help."

She leaned in over the window and he backed away to the other side of the car.

"I won't hurt you, I promise, but Mr. Bukowski doesn't like dogs and if he finds you in his car you're going straight to the pound."

He opened his mouth to tell her that he didn't know what she was talking about, but the only thing that came out of his mouth was a loud yelp.

"Shhh! You need to keep quiet!" the woman said. "I'm trying to help you."

He looked down at himself and discovered that he was a yellow, fluffy sort of dog. That couldn't be right, could it? Had he always been a dog?

"There we go," he heard a soft voice murmur in his ear as soft hands pulled tight around his midriff. "I've got you."

Two things struck him. One, the woman had moved around to the other side of the car and was currently trying to pull him out of the car and two, she smelled heavenly. Like a mix of orange flowers and mulled wine.

"Man, you're heavy," she gasped as she lifted him. "If I hadn't spent my life gardening I wouldn't have stood a chance."

He found himself lifted into the air and sat down on a pebbled driveway. A freckled face with smiling blue eyes appeared right in front of him.

"Wow, you're a handsome dog. I love your eyes," she said and to his great surprise she put her arms around him and rubbed her cheek against his.

He inhaled her scent, wondering if it was normal for dogs to feel this attracted to a human's scent. He couldn't remember ever feeling like this before, but then again he couldn't remember anything about himself. Not even his name.

"We need to get you to a vet and have you checked out. You look a little worse for wear. Have you run away?"

Had he? He didn't know. If it led to him being hugged by this wonderful person than he was glad that he had run away.

"Come on, let's go to my car," she said and motioned to an old truck parked on the curb a small distance away. "Can you walk?"

He tried to get to his feet and this time they worked like they were supposed to. She waited for him to reach the car and opened the passenger seat.

"Come on in."

He jumped in and sat down while she patted him. It was the most wonderful feeling in the world, he thought and licked her face.

"Giving me kisses already, huh? I really hope you're not sick," she said and got in on the other side.

"Okay, honey, vet first and then I'll take you home. Hopefully Mr. B won't notice if I'm a little late caring for his hydrangeas today," she said and strapped herself in. "Do you have a name? Rex, Bob, Dog?"

He didn't know, but he didn't recognize any of those names.

"Hrrm. What shall we call you? You're all golden, aren't you? I think I'll call you... Gold. What do you say?"

He got up and licked her face again. Honestly, he could do that all day.

"Wow, okay, I'm going to take that as a yes. Now, sit. Sit!"

The newly named Gold reluctantly did as she asked and sat back in his own seat as she turned the ignition.

"Alright, Gold. Let's go do this."

He settled in and spent the entire ride looking at his new friend while she sang along to the music on the radio. Gold. Yeah, that was a good name. That's exactly what he felt like right now.

Author's note:

That's it guys! Then end of the story. Thank you for reading, voting and commenting! Please check out my other stories here on Wattpad and on Amazon and I'll see you in the next adventure :)