(20) Birth and Death

Thursday July 31, 1980

Andy sat on the kitchen counter helping Sirius make dinner. By helping I mean keeping him company and just watching.

"Have you heard anything from Prongs about how Lily's doing?" Andy asked, swinging her legs restlessly.

"No, same answer as an hour ago, darling," Sirius said disappointed.

They all knew that Lily could go into labor at any moment, they were just waiting for the letter from James.

Andy could not wait to meet the new baby. She had always wanted a sibling and this was as close as she would ever get to one.

Two other Order members had a baby just last night, Alice and Frank Longbottom but they hadn't met their baby yet. Andy hoped that the two babies would become friends.

"Go tell Moony dinner's ready," Sirius said. She nodded and hopped off the counter and ran up stairs.

Remus was still healing after the mission and had been sleeping a lot more and fell asleep at random times. She quietly opened the door to his room.

"Daddy..." Andy whispered. "Daddy, dinner is ready." Remus just turned over to face Andy.

"Okay," he muttered. "I'll be down in a few minutes, sweetheart."

"Okie dokie," Andy said cheerfully as she closed the door again and went back to the kitchen.

She and Sirius started eating until they could hear a loud crash come from upstairs. Sirius immediately jumped up and ran up the stairs, Andy following behind him.

Remus came running out of his room with a letter in his hand.

"Lily went into labor!" Remus exclaimed, breathing heavily.

"What? Like right now?" Sirius yelled.

"No, in an hour. YES RIGHT NOW!" Remus yelled. Andy giggled quietly and Remus smiled at her.

They all ran to the fireplace and Remus told her to say "St Mungo's Hospital". When she got there a healer asked what she needed but only a second later Remus and Sirius came in and asked the healer to bring them to Lily Potter.

"Are you family?" The healer asked, while checking for the name.

"Err, no. Really good friends," Sirius said hesitantly.

"Sixth floor for the maternity ward."

"Thank you so much!" Remus said and they all started to run.

"Hey! No running in here!" The healer yelled.

They all stopped running and just started speed walking, Andy having to basically run to keep up with them.

They get to a room with a lot of people, all waiting for family and friends to have their kid.

"We'll probably be here a while," Remus sighed, taking a seat.

About a half an hour later Peter and Mary showed up and sat with them. Peter fell asleep soon after and Mary sat reading her book with Andy reading over her shoulder.

They sat there for an hour and since they barely had dinner Andy was hungry.

"Pa, can we get something to eat?" Andy asked, turning toward Sirius.

"Sure, sweetheart. Moony, Mary, we're gonna get food. Want anything?"

"I'm fine," Mary said looking up for a moment then turned back to her book.

"I'm alright," Remus said, closing his eyes.

Sirius nodded and quickly followed Andy who had already started walking toward the cafeteria. They didn't notice the woman that followed behind them the whole time.