Chapter 9

Amelia sat in the coffee shop, gripping the mug in her hand tightly as she looked out onto the road watching the cars pass by. 

It was a rainy day, and it reminds her of the day that her and Awsten met for the first time in this very shop, of all of the morning coffee dates that they spent sitting at this table. 

The traffic had the studio had slowed down a bit in the last few months, so she wasn't there quite as often has she had been and she didn't mind it. The time off was nice, but time off also meant time to think and that was the last thing that she really needed. 

She wondered if she called Awsten, he would come and meet her here or if it would be too much nostalgia for either one of them to handle. 

He very well could be busy, if she knew him the way that she thought that she did. He was probably in the process of working on new music for a new album meaning he was in the studio pretty frequently. 

Maybe that's why she hadn't heard much of him lately, he was just working so much. 

As much as she wanted to sit and convince herself that it was just conflicting schedules, it felt like more than that. It felt like they were both purposely ignoring each other, too scared to say what they were really feeling. 

Amelia
Maxx.

Maxx
Melis.

Is this how
we say hi now?

Amelia
Yes or no?

Pick one.

Quickly.

Maxx
I don't like
the lack of context 
here.

Amelia
Too bad.

Please just
pick one.

I'll explain later.

Maxx
Come to mine
for dinner later.
I want to show you
a song I have been
working on. 

Also yes?

Amelia
Fuck okay 
was hoping
you'd pick no. 

Now I gotta
actually do the
thing.

Maxx
Why couldn't
God of given me
a normal neighbor?

Amelia
Why does 
God keep 
giving me neighbors
who are musicians
and only make songs
at 3am?

Maxx
Alright touché.

Good luck with
the thing?

See you tonight. 

Amelia
See you tonight. 

"Chris what are the odds you want to close early today?" Amelia calls out lightheartedly and Chris rolls his eyes. 

"Amelia just call Awsten, you know if he's not busy he'll come. I'll make you a new coffee you haven't taken a sip of that you've just been holding onto it like it'll give you some sort of courage." he says honestly, and she furrows her eyebrows. 

"Who said anything about Awsten?" she challenges stubbornly and he laughs with his back turned to her. 

"You've been sitting at the same table the both of you used to sit at every morning, looking out the window like a wife waiting for her husband to return from war." he says jokingly and she scoffs defensively. 

"He can't read your mind babes, if you want to talk to him you have to actually reach out to him. That's how these things work." he says softer this time, and she sighs nodding her head. 

"What if he doesn't come? Or he says no?" she asks, her tone soft and small. 

"Then it's no different than what's happening right now, but I think that knowing would be better than the unknown you've been struggling with." he tells her softly, and she nods. 

"Yeah I guess you're right, I'll call him." she says sighing, staring at her phone half wishing it would just call him for her. 

"Amelia Rose if you do not pick up that cell phone and call him, I'm going to do it for you." Chris says sternly, coming around the corner and placing a new coffee in front of her taking the old one away from her. 

She looks up at him with a small smile, pushing her glasses that were slipping down her nose up a little higher. 

"You're afraid of reaching out to a man who used to be wrapped around your finger." he tells her, hoping that it would make her feel better. 

"Yeah used to, not anymore." she counteracts and he shakes his head. 

"He didn't drive across town at rush hour to return a sweater just so that he could talk to you, without still being completely in love with you." Chris tells her, pointing down at her phone. 

"Call him." he says sternly, turning around before she can protest anything. 

Amelia sighs, rubbing her hands together anxiously taking a deep breath before picking up her phone.

She feels her palms grow sweaty when Awsten picks up after two rings, "Hello?" he says, his voice full of confusion. 

She stays quiet for a moment, "Amelia? Did you pocket dial me?" he calls out, and she shakes her head clearing her voice. 

"Hi Awsten, are you busy?" she asks, her tone sounding entirely too formal and making her cringe as soon as she's finished her sentence. 

"Uh no, I'm just leaving the studio now actually. I was working on some things, why? Is everything okay?" he asks her concerned and she shakes her head again forgetting that he can't see her through the phone. 

"No no nothing like that, I was just wondering if maybe you wanted to meet me at the coffee shop? We could talk about somethings, a neutral ground." she spits out, and she's met with silence. 

Amelia silently curses to herself, afraid that she overstepped. 

"If it's uncomfortable or anything like that you absolutely don't have to, I was just thinking about you. Us? I don't know. It was stupid, we can forget that I said this." she rambles, and Awsten cuts her off. 

"It's not stupid, it's just raining today." he says softly, and she furrows her eyebrows. 

"Are you going to melt in the rain?" she says jokingly, and Awsten laughs filling her stomach with butterflies. 

"The first day we met was in that coffee shop and it was raining, you going to tell me that you have that turquoise rain jacket on again too?" he says playfully, and she suppresses a giggle. 

"Oh my god are you really?" he asks, and she hears his car door close behind him and the audio switch over to blue tooth. 

"Awsten I only own one rain jacket in my defense." she protests and he laughs again. 

"You at the coffee shop already?" he asks her. 

"Yeah I'm-" she starts and he cuts her off. 

"Sitting at our table?" he finishes her sentence, and Amelia feels her cheeks heat up. 

"Yeah." she answers softly. 

"I'll be there in a few Melis." he reassures her, hanging up the phone.