Chapter 12 - Riding in Cars

Start from the beginning

"It's nice to meet you, Ashley. Tony and Vinnie haven't stopped talking about you for weeks," Monique said with her high-pitched, thick, northern coastal accent with rounded vowels. It was a bit nasally, and didn't match her looks at all. "When I heard Shane was coming to dinner tonight, I just had to see him! It's been ages since Shaney came home," she added, smiling with emphasis on Shane's name. Monique was blatantly flirting with him, but Ashley knew how to play.

Positioning herself between the other woman and Shane, Ashley pressed herself against him and asked in a sweet voice, "Shane, honey, can we go get a drink? All this talk with your extended family has made me thirsty."

Thankfully, Shane found Ashley's tactics amusing rather than annoying and played along, putting his arm around her shoulder. "Of course, my pet. Please excuse us, Mona," he said politely before making their way to the hub of the house: the kitchen.

Admittedly, Shane had made it through the mosh pit of Panitelli's and was waiting for Ashley before going to see Tony and Marge. This was the first time in four years he'd set foot in their house; he didn't want to see the hosts without her. Monique had spotted him and took advantage of having him alone. Thankfully, Ashley didn't seem too angry but saved him from her droll conversation just in time. Now they were off to meet the roots of the family and the two people he thought of as parents during his adolescence... and the people he would likely lose after his apology tonight.

Before entering the kitchen, Shane lowered his arm to hold Ashley's hand and she gave it a squeeze. Marge, having heard all the commotion at the front of house, was smoothing her apron and was the first to notice them. She rushed over to meet the couple with tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Figlio Mio Bellissimo! (My handsome son!) You have come home!" Marge exclaimed as she kissed Shane's cheeks and hugged him so tightly, he couldn't breathe. "Why do you go for so long without a phone call or nothing? You break my heart," she said, standing back to look at his face, which she held in her hands like a delicate piece of pottery.

"I'm sorry, mamma. I was in a bad place for a long time, and I should have called..." He sniffled as he trailed off. The pain on his face and the ghosts of the past swimming in his eyes were apparent.

"Well, you are here now." Marge sniffled, gave him a loving smile, then patted his cheek. Then she turned to Ashley. "And you, mia bellissima bambina (my beautiful girl)! You saved my Shane and brought him back to us. Grazie, Angelo mio! (Thank you, my Angel!)" She took Ashley by the shoulders and kissed her cheeks before pulling her into a tight hug.

Ashley smiled and was moved to near tears at this woman's affection for her love. "Shane saved me as well, Mrs. Panitelli," she admitted when the woman finally released her and she could breathe.

"Welcome to the family, tesoro mia (dear heart)," Marge said sweetly before asking, "So, when is the wedding?"

"In three weeks." Ashley beamed at Shane when he slipped his arm around her waist. "We were gonna announce it at dinner tonight, but I guess everyone already knows." He chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck.

Marge wore a mother's knowing smile. "Well, if the ring wasn't the first thing people noticed, it would be the Mermaid Pendant around her neck." She winked at them before pulling them into the kitchen to meet the cooks rushing around to finish last-minute dishes.

"Ashley and Shane! Congratulations on your engagement!" A booming voice called out. Tony Panitelli wrapped them both in a giant bear hug. "Welcome home, son. So, three weeks until the big day, huh? I assume the wedding will take place in Pelican Town?" He was grinning like a proud papa.

"Yeah, the townsfolk will take it personally if we have the ceremony somewhere else and we're planning to live there after we get married, so..." Shane explained, leaving out the fact that Marnie had already started planning everything the day after the storm.