⭒ introduction ⭒

BLEEDING | PRE-HUNGER GAMES

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

MAPLE LARKS HAS seen death. She has seen addiction. She has seen blood. She as seen gore. She has had people leave her for dead. Her memories are blurred with pain and fear, her visions haunting her daydreams and making a home in her nightmares. Every time she traces the dark scar slashed across her lips, or when she looks at her sister's eye patch, she is reminded of the darkness.

Once, a long time ago, the darkness consumed her every thought, paining her every step, stopping words from spilling out of her mouth. She was only a child, yet she fell into such a state of utter depression that it took years for her to resurface back to her life.

Now she has a life: She works in electricity, her districts specialty: building parts for pylons, circuits, and more- then moving said parts, hauling around slabs of wood and chunks of metal. She has friends, friends who will watch her back no matter what, and her siblings that will do the same. She has her own secret to keep, too- a secret that her adoptive father would go ballistic on her for, if she ever shared it. 

The hunger games is only the horrific competition in the background of her life: it's sickening, but it hasn't affected her or anyone she knows. So she ignores it as best as she can, like everyone else in district five, watching two kids, some of them her age, stolen away every year like pigs to a slaughterhouse. She must try to forget their names, faces, personalities. She must try to block out their families screams of grief as they watch their children murdered mercilessly. Sometimes they have no family at all, and their casket is sent back only to be unclaimed, the body inside left to rot.

Maple must try not to think about the fact that one day it could be her.

On reaping day, the odds shift entirely. Her fate that was once fairly clear, now uncertain, open-ended. 

Ironic, isn't it? The one thing that enrages her the most, not knowing what will happen next.

To keep her life, she must adapt, she must lie, she must win, she must survive.

ADAPT.

LIE.

WIN.

SURVIVE.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

PARTS

PART I - ADAPT

PART II - LIE

PART III - WIN

PART IV - SURVIVE

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

DISCLAIMERS

COPYRIGHT