Ch. 2➖The Invitation

Start from the beginning

I sighed as well and looked downcast. Below the balcony, I see a group of our employees looking at our direction and was discussing among themselves.

It's already past midday and the scorching sun is directly above us in this balcony where we found the Adarna. So the employees may have been taking their lunch and saw our uninvited guest.

"Let's continue our discussion inside. We are already getting attention. It's already lunch anyways." I suggested as I guide both of them inside. And to my surprise the bird flew inside before us and perched itself on one of the wooden chairs.

"I'm guessing another lady has fallen for your charms and grew an attachment to you." Maia teased Jai who only glared in return.

"How can you even tell that the bird is a lady?" I asked while staring at the bird to look for any indication of its gender. However, I don't think that this would help since this is the first time I saw any of its kind. But, if its similar to a peacock, wouldn't this be a male due to its intricate feathers?

"Just a guess." Maia shrugged her shoulders.

"Well, I'll prepare for lunch then." I waved at the both of them and went straight to the kitchen where I saw a handful of our helpers already tyding up and the food already prepared.

"Oh Mrs. Resa, I'm sorry I wasn't able to assist you." I rushed towards the head housekeeper, took away the dish she was carrying and placed it on the dining table.

"Little child! I told you that you are not obligated to assist any of us. You're one of our mistresses, so please." She carried another dish towards the dining table.

"I also told you that I wanted to so... Also, I'm not a little child any more. I'm already 21." I placed the plates on its position. "Have you eaten already?" I asked her.

"You don't have to remind me that you're long been at a marrying age dear." she winked and giggled "Yes, we've already eaten." she added.

I placed extra plates back to the dish cabinet and took 3 sets of utensils and cups.

"By the way, some of the helpers have informed me that one of the Adarnas are here. Who is it for? I mean the letter?" she inquired while doing some finishing touches on the dishes.

"Oh? You know about the Adarna and the letter?" I looked at her curiously.

"I.. Ah yes, uhm.. It was an old story told by my parents before." she answered but I noticed her stutter.

"Oh." I was contemplating to inquire a bit further.

"So, who is it for?" she asked once again.

Though I am not sure if I should answer truthfully but since she is one of the oldest helper we have and was able to serve even the grandparents, I answered "It's for Jai."

"Oh!" now it's her time to be speechless.

I just smiled at her and went upstairs to call Maia and Jai to eat lunch.

"I told you! Please just stay here!" I heard Jai shouting as I walked closer to his bedroom.

"Hey Jai, you okay in there?" I knocked.

The door opened wide and Jai's flustered face welcomed me.

"What happened?" I asked as I linked my hands into his arms as we walked towards the the staircase.

"It's this bird. He doesn't leave my side. Not even giving me a minute of privacy!" he purposely emphasized the word privacy while looking at the bird who's flying right above us. I giggled as I realized what he meant.