CHAPTER 9. [Pink Soldiers.]

The pink men stood out amongst the teal players.

It seemed like 2 different teams.

Gi-hun breathed heavily, trying to get a good glimpse of the men.

The square-masked man took 3 slow footsteps forward, looking amongst all the different players. "I would like to extend a heartfelt welcome to you all. Everyone here will participate in six different games over six days. Those who win all six games will receive a handsome cash prize." the masked manager announced to the 456 different players. "And why should we believe that?!" a loud voice called from the crowd, "Y-You took all our stuff and put us to sleep coming here, and then you brought us to this strange warehouse. Now you're saying you'll pay us if we go and play a few games? You really expect us to buy that?"

"We reluctantly took all of those measures to maintain confidentiality as we brought you here. We'll return everything, once the games are over." the masked manager admitted. 

"You all.. You all have masks, why are you wearing those things?" a woman shouted. "We do not disclose the faces and personal information of our staff to any of the participants. It's a measure we take to ensure fair games and confidentiality. Please understand."

"Well, I don't believe you one bit, you got that?! You tricked us. We were kidnapped. You can make as many excuses as you want to make sure nobody knows you broke the law in here. If you're going to make up for that, then we're gonna need something more."

"Player 218, Cho Sang-Woo." the masked manager spoke before clicking a small button on a plastic device. The screen above lit up, the lights around everyone dimmed. A video media started playing, showing Sang-Woos Ddakji play. Gi-hun looked at the screen with miserable confusement, remembering something a-lot more important. "Age, 46 years. Former team leader of Team Two at Joy Investments. Siphoned money off from his client's balances, then invested it into derivatives and future options and failed. Current loss, 650 million won." Gi-hun quickly looked at Sang-Woo before the masked manager spoke again, the screen changed to other contestants, "107, Kim Mi-ok, 540 million in debt. 118, Oh yeong-uk, 1.02 billion in debt. 332, Jung Min-tae, 880 million in debt. 119, No Sang-hun, 1.39 billion in debt. 369, Park Ju-un, 900 million in debt. Every person standing here in this room is living on the brink of financial ruin. You all have debts you can't pay off. When we first went to see each of you, not a single one of you trusted us. But as you all know, we played a game, and as we promised, we gave you money when you won. And suddenly, everyone here trusted us. You called and volunteered to participate in this game of your own free will. So this is it. I'll give you one last chance to choose. Will you go back to living your old and depressing lives getting chased by your creditors. Or. Will you act and seize this last opportunity we're offering here?"

The large crowd murmured in pure fear, they were all terrified but what the masked man said was all true. "Hey! Which games are we playing here?" "In order to play fair, we cannot disclose any information about the games ahead of time."

"One question!" Gi-hun shouted, raising his sharp pointer finger up, "If we win, just how much do we get?" he questioned. 

The masked manager pressed a contrasting button on his small remote, it beeped in response.

A large door at the top of the warehouse split open, a bright yellow light radiated from what came. Everyone spread out, peering above. A humongous translucent piggy bank lowered down. Everyone was amazed.

"Your prize money will be accumulated in there after every game. We will disclose the amount to everyone after the first game is over. If you do not wish to participate, please let us know at this time."

Gi-huns eyes shone in the modern light.

---

 Everyone was in separate lines, they were all signing a simple contract and rules to participate in the unknown games. Gi-hun tried to look ahead as many pushed in line in order to be the first ones there.

Circle masked men were in-charge of the contract forms, maybe they were just a hardworking servant to higher ranks. Soon, Gi-hun was in-front of a line. Ambience shone in his head.

He read what it had to say, 'PLAYER CONSENT FORM; Clause 1: A player is not allowed to stop playing. Clause 2: A player who refuses to play will be eliminated. Clause 3: Games may be terminated if the majority agrees.'   "So then, is that it or.." Gi-hun questioned, looking at the circle masked man. No response was made.

Gi-hun turned his head back down to the consent form, looking around at the others who were signing the form. Gi-hun sharply sighed and decided to grab the black pen to sign his signature onto it, hoping for the best to income.