CHAPTER 5 [Ga-yeong.]

Gi-hun sat with his daughter in a small fast-food place, eating very few pieces. Ga-yeong looked at Gi-hun, possibly at the bite sized mark that slashed across his cheek. She had a yet, disappointing look but also a deeply scared look. Ga-yeong didn't touch her food for a minute due to this, possibly worried for her fathers safety. Gi-hun looked at his daughter with his whimpering eyes and slanted his dark eyebrows before realizing, soon raising his hand to cover the engraved mark. "Oh, this?" Gi-hun sighed, "It's a huge mosquito bite, that's all. Mosquitos are really mean these days." Gi-hun went back to eating, mainly poking at his food.

Ga-yeong looked at him with her precious face, quickly knowing the truth, "Dad, you can be in ALL the fights that you want, but don't get hurt too bad." she comforted. Soon Ga-yeong went back to eating before Gi-hun spoke back, "I'm sorry sweetie. I really am." Gi-hun sniffed, "You know, I wanted to buy you a nicer dinner than this." "It's okay. We went out with my stepdad to the steakhouse earlier, so.."

"A steak, huh?" Gi-hun sniveled, "That's nice of him." "Well, I still want tteokbokki a-lot more, though!"

Gi-hun sighed when Ga-yeong spoke. "I'm not allowed to have it at home.. Mom says it's junk food." Ga-yeong murmured to her father. Gi-hun chuckled at the response. 

"Oh my gosh!" Gi-hun remembered something, "Surprise!" he proffered. Gi-hun soon pulled out a black box with a golden ribbon tied up, it looked fancier than many other gifts that Ga-yeong had gotten before. Ga-yeong gasped softly, quickly grabbing onto the gift and unraveling it like it was Christmas. 

When she opened the box, Gi-huns eyes widened.

Pink tissue paper covered the bottom, leaving a soft 'landing' for the metal object that sat right on-top, a gun. Ga-yeong looked confused at first before she picked up the metal object, smiling heavily trying to appreciate her fathers gift. "Uh.." Gi-hun murmured, "You know why, huh? These days, even women go to war!" he quickly spoke up. "Uh-huh.." Ga-yeong muttered with a slight smile.

"I mean, when you finally get older, there's not gonna be that kind of discrimination like we got now. And you'll need to get used to this pretty soon, y'know?"

Ga-yeong slowly pulled the trigger of the heavy gun, a flame quickly spit out. It was actually a lighter. 

"Ah!" Gi-hun chuckled, "Plus, it's a lighter! Looks like the real deal, doesn't it?" "I think you'll- get in trouble with mom again.. If she saw me holding this." Ga-yeong warned. "Is that right..? I'll keep it then, just till you get a bit older." Gi-hun fretted.

"Hey! Don't smoke with it, tho!" bossed Ga-yeong. "Oh- come on! I'm clean now!" 

Ga-yeong took a whiff of Gi-huns suit, it smelt like old cigarette ashes that must've collapsed down and smeared into the fabric. Ga-yeong gave her father a heated look. "Alright, alright. I'll make sure I'll stop smoking- for real! And you'll see next year, I'll get a awesome present for you, okay? Ga-yeong, I swear." 

"Next year..?" Ga-yeong queried.

"Last year, you had a birthday. This one came right around. And the next one, will be quick." Gi-hun rejoiced. "Um, dad..?" "Hmm?" 

"Nothing.."

---

Gi-hun carried his heavy-eyed daughter on his swell back, holding her legs up-right. He carefully walked across the street without disturbing Ga-yeong. 

"Why did you bring her back so late?" Ga-yeongs mother came out of nowhere, crossing her tight arms, "She's not dressed for the cold!" she scolded. "Oh, she got sleepy, I carried her.." spoke Gi-hun, "We're ten minutes late at most, okay?" "I said I'd drive down to get her, didn't I?"

"It's her birthday. Let's not yell." Gi-hun whispered. "Mom.." Ga-yeong softly spoke.

"Ga-yeong, get down." her mother snarled quietly. "I'll- carry her to the elevator if you don't mind, okay?" Gi-hun bellowed. "She can walk on her own. Ga-yeong, get down, seriously." 

Gi-hun lowered his back, letting his daughter drop down. Her eyes were filled with deep tiredness, blank with no expression. "Alright, let's go." Ga-yeongs mother bellowed. She pulled Ga-yeong away from Gi-hun, walking away to the hotel. Gi-hun sighed in response. Ga-yeong looked back and effortlessly waved her poor father bye. Gi-hun smiled and waved back in return, hoping he'd see his daughter again another day. 

Gi-huns expression slowly dropped as Ga-yeong and her mother walked into the big building. All he could do now is go home.