truly.

As he took pen to paper, a smile crossed his face.  He imagined playing the song the next day, for her.  He was every bit in love with her at that moment as he was during their first kiss, their trip to the city of lights, and the moment that he got down on one knee by the pier.  He thought about holding her hand, lying next to her, looking in her eyes.  His hand moved across the paper quickly as his elegant, but boyish script appeared on the page.  The first verse was finished and he placed the pen down.  He ran a hand through his blonde hair, brushing it back to reveal darker roots before it set back into place.  He picked up the guitar and placing his right hand on the neck, something she always laughed at.  He laughed to himself at it now, he pictured her.  He wondered if she was laying in bed, if she was sleeping or awake.  He hoped she was asleep, it would be ashamed to be exhausted the next day.  Even he wanted to shut his eyelids, weighed down by the long day he’d been through, but his nerves kept them open.  He promised himself that once the song was done, he’d sleep.  

Am I asleep, am I awake, or somewhere in between?

I can’t believe that you are here and lying next to me

Or did I dream that we were perfectly entwined?

Like branches on a tree, or twigs caught on a vine?

The second verse came easily.  He remembered struggling, admiring her from afar.  He remembered when she thought of him as a friend, someone to talk to, a shoulder to lie on, but he wanted to be thought of as lips to kiss, a hand to hold, someone to spend forever with.  At first, he saw her as a friend, too.  After her first broken heart, things changed.  Holding her that day, having her cry in his arms, he wished that he could be the one to kiss her lips.  He remembered wondering how anyone could break her heart, how anyone could look into her sparkling eyes and say the words that would make them sink.  He loved her ever since then.  He remembered how nervous he was to finally tell her, his hands shook and his voice faltered, but she smiled back at him.

Like all those days and weeks and months I tried to steal a kiss

And all those sleepless nights and daydreams where I pictured this,

I’m just the underdog who finally got the girl

And I am not ashamed to tell it to the world

He loved her, it was as simple as that.  From then, to now, and forever on.  She was his only.

Truly, madly, deeply, I am

Foolishly, completely falling

And somehow you kicked all my walls in

So baby, say you’ll always keep me

Truly, madly, crazy, deeply in love with you

In love with you

He put down the guitar to pick up his pen yet again.  His mind wandered as he imagined life after tomorrow.  They’d share rings, a home, and their lives.  Everything would feel different, but still the same.  He looked over at the clock, it was almost eleven.  On any other night, they’d have stayed up till morning, watching movies or joking around, but not tonight.  June 10th, the next morning, would be the day that Niall would join hands with her on the altar.  He’d marry his best friend.  He’d spend every day with her, morning, noon, and night.

Should I put coffee and granola on a tray in bed

And wake you up with all the words that I still haven’t said?

And tender touches, just to show you how I feel

Or should I act so cool like it was no big deal?

His hands shook as he walked up the small staircase and onto the platform, guitar in hand.  He wasn’t nervous just hours earlier, but this was different.  He’d played for thousands before, but now it was for the one who really mattered.  He spoke into the microphone, locking eyes with her across the room.  “For you,” he whispered into the mic before strumming his fingers over the metal strings.  The room was silent as he sang each verse.  It felt as if she was the only one in the room with him.  He poured his heart into his words and music as the guitar vibrated through the speakers.

Wish I could freeze this moment in a frame and stay like this

I’ll put this day back on replay and keep reliving it

‘Cause here’s the tragic truth if you don’t feel the same

My heart would fall apart if someone said your name

He looked directly into her eyes as they glittered with admiration and love.  His blue eyes shone back at her just the same.  His mouth spread wide into a smile as he continued to sing.  His heart skipped a beat at the third line, knowing it was untrue.  He could see it in her eyes, she felt the same.

I hope I’m not a casualty,

I hope you won’t get up and leave

May not mean that much to you

But to me it’s everything, everything

He finished the last line with a tear hiding in his eye.  Looking up, she was no longer sitting in her chair across the room.  His eyes scanned the dining hall for her.  He felt a tap on his shoulder.  She brought her lips to his.  The applause echoing throughout the room was drowned out.  There was nothing to be said, he could feel her love.

So baby say you’ll always keep me, 

truly, madly, crazy, deeply in love with you.