Chapter 28

Fern walked into the kitchen with Elder resting on her shoulder and Ryker happily following behind her; she paused at the entryway when she noticed a man she didn't know talking with Steve and Natasha. "Fern, I would like for you to meet someone very special," Steve said, waving Fern into the kitchen.

The man turned around and brightly smiled at Fern. "Ah, so you are the young woman that the White Wolf has spoken of."

"Who?" Fern tilted her head in confusion as she lifted Elder off her shoulder and placed him on the back of a chair.

"Sorry, Sergeant Barnes. I am King T'Challa of Wakanda," He bowed his head to Fern holding his hands out to her.

"It's nice to meet your Highness," Fern bowed her head back at him and happily shook his hand. "I'm Fern Harver."

"It is nice to meet you as well. I see that you take companionship with animals," T'Challa noted, looking between the owl and wolf.

"I can talk to animals and play with plants. Nothing special," Fern shyly smiled, petting the top of Ryker's head. "This is Ryker and Elder; my Hummingbird, Buzz, also is here, but he's out at the moment."

"Ryker and I have met before; he is very special." T'Challa held his hand out to the wolf with a smile; Ryker sniffed his hand but didn't move from Fern's side. Instead, Ryker snorted and looked at Fern.

"That is rude, Ryker; you can't say that about a king." Fern glared at the wolf, which snapped its teeth at her in reply. "Do not make me tell Bucky what you just said," Fern warned the wolf.

"You aren't lying, Captain Rogers; it is strange to see her have a conversation with the animals." T'Challa laughed, looking at his friends; Steve and Natasha laughed, watching as Fern argued with Ryker.

"I am so sorry, Ryker can read souls or something like that," Fern sighed, giving T'Challa an embarrassed smile. "He likes you, I promise; I have no idea what that was about."

"No worries," T'Challa smiled back at her. "So, I was told that you have an extraordinary creature living with you." Fern's face dropped for a moment as she looked to Steve and Natasha; they smiled at her.

"Uh, I do. Sorry, I have a hard time trusting people with that. I know that you live in a secret civilization and all, but–" Fern stopped herself as a hand was placed on her waist; she jumped, looking at Bucky standing next to her.

"It's okay, doll, he knows. I know it's not my secret to tell, but I thought that there was a possibility that they could help if something ever happened," Bucky smiled down at her.

"I was quite curious about the new wolf companion; I thought that Sergeant Barnes took the nickname he picked up in Wakanda to heart," T'Challa chuckled, shaking Bucky's hand.

"So you just let it slip out that a Thunderbird is living in my forest? What else did you tell him? My life's story?" Fern glared at Bucky, looking at the time. "I have to go to Peter's school. Nat, will you drive me?"

"Of course," Natasha smiled.

"It was nice to meet you, Your Highness. I hope you stay for the party." Fern smiled at the king, holding her arm out; Elder stepped onto it, they walked out of the compound with Natasha and Ryker following her.

"Doll," Bucky said, going to follow after Fern, Steve, and T'Challa both placed their hands on his shoulders, holding him back. "Fuck. She's mad at me now. She doesn't even know what happened." Bucky ran a hand through his hair, turning to his friends.

"She isn't mad at you. You can explain everything when you see her later. But, for now, we have to go get suits," Steve weakly smiled at his best friend.

"I'll be needing a barber; I think I'm overdue for a haircut," Bucky chuckled. Then, he turned to T'Challa, "If you can, as Fern said, please stay for the party. Pepper's done an amazing job with it, and Fern did all of the flowers last night. Everyone would enjoy it if your visit weren't so brief."

"I am the King, after all, so I don't believe that anyone will protest if I want to stay for the party." T'Challa smiled at them as Sam walked into the room and waved for Steve and Bucky to hurry up. "Go, we can talk more when you return." They shared another smile before Steve and Bucky ran to catch up with Sam.