Chapter 2

"You know I've heard of a horse-drawn carriage, but never this," Steve chuckled. He watched the sky seeing the beginning change into an orange hue; the trees felt like they went for miles into the sky.

"I feel like you've gathered that I'm not exactly what you'd call normal," Fern returned the laugh. "We're almost there; how are you feeling?" She glanced at him over her shoulder.

"Better, not like I was in a plane crash only hours ago," Steve rubbed at his neck, he might be a super-soldier, but his bones still hurt.

"That's good because I can't wait to know why the Avengers are on this side of the country," Fern shook her head as the house came into view. "We're here."

Steve sat up in time to watch a large log house come into view; he was shocked at how beautiful it was. "Don't tell me you live here alone."

"Stark isn't the only one with money, but yes, I do." She replied as the wagon came to a stop outside of the house. "I'll show you the rooms where we can place everyone. Your other friends should be here soon." Fern jumped down and removed the wagon and the harness from her friend. The elk gave another snort before trotting off into the forest.

They were silent as they carried people into rooms; Wanda began to stir as they placed her on the bed. "Steve," She coughed.

"Sh, it's okay, Wanda, rest for now." Steve kneeled at her side, running his hand over her head. Wanda nodded and closed her eyes once again.

"You care for her like a father," Fern commented, hearing the search team walk up outside.

"She's been through a lot; I felt like I had to be there after what happened. She needed someone to be," Steve sighed, looking back at Wanda from the door.

"You'll have time to worry about her later; your other friends are here." Fern turned on her heel walking out of the house being greeted by her search team. "About time you show up," She commented, seeing Elder sitting on the porch railing.

The owl hooted back at her in response. "Well, what did you expect to happen? Most people don't follow random owls that attack them and force them to follow. That was only me, and look where we're at now." Fern rolled her eyes at the owl who pecked at her hand. "Ow, that was uncalled for." She glared at the owl, pointing her finger at it. It screeched at her before flying off into a tree.

"That owl, I swear," She muttered.

"You'll have to tell me what it said because I'm interested." Steve chuckled before noticing Tony and Natasha. "Crap, you look like hell."

"Go look in the mirror," Tony scuffed, leaning against a post. "Who's the girl, and why in the hell did an owl attack us and force us here? Which, by the way, pushes the weird limit right now."

"This is Fern," Steve turned to the girl with a faint smile, "She helped me get everyone here. She's weird and keeps telling me not to ask."

"Wonderful. Is there somewhere we can rest?" Natasha huffed, clutching her side. Fern waved them in, leading them into a small infirmary. "This will do." Natasha rushed to a medical cabinet and began cleaning her wound.

"So, want to explain to me what the Avengers are doing on this side of the country? Because I don't exactly want whatever it is you've gotten yourselves into," Fern looked them up and down.

"How about you explain what it is that makes you weird, which is so far a lot," Tony rolled his eyes, "Also, how you've got this big house with its own infirmary, and who knows what else." He motioned around the room. He was impressed, to say the least, would he admit it, never.

"I asked you first, Metal Head," Fern snapped.

"Wow, nicknames are my thing. Don't do that." Tony pointed at her. "I asked you second, and before I feel like telling you top secret information, I feel like we should know who we're dealing with." Tony countered.

"I talk to animals; I can control plants; some old relative was some super genius and had a lot of money." Fern retorted. "Now, I asked you first."

"I'm gonna need better than that."

"We were on our way back from a mission when some unidentified object came out of nowhere and started attacking the ship. The second it took out our engines, it was gone," Natasha said, walking over to them fully patched up.

"Did you get a good look at it?" Fern asked, leaning forward.

"No, it was gone within seconds." Steve sighed.

"If you can take me back to the wreck, I can try to get into the system, see if Friday caught anything on the cameras," Tony sighed. "All communications are down; I can't bring Friday online right now."

"You won't be able to. This area is a dead zone, for a good reason." Fern pushed away from the wall she was leaning on, "If you can get me an image of what attacked you, I might already know what it is."

"What did you mean by that?" Tony cocked his head, a deadpan look on his face.

"Which part?"

"All of it." Steve snapped.

"No one flies over this area because it's a dead zone; what attacked your jet makes sure of it. It's not exactly all sunshine and Disney princesses out there," Fern looked out of the window, watching storm clouds form. "You're about to get a look at what attacked you." She raced from the room outside, standing close to the house; she never ventured too far out into the storm.

"What is going on? It looks like a Thor storm," Steve stood behind her.

"Buzz, Elder!" Fern shouted, looking for her friends. "Thor wishes he could do this, get inside; it doesn't like people out in the storm. It's looking for you right now. Buzz, Elder!" She pushed Steve closer to the door watching as Elder flew down from the tree resting on her arm; Buzz raced past her into the house.

"What the hell is going on?" Tony pressed as Fern walked into the house, placing Elder on a perch.

"You pissed off the Thunderbird."