Chapter Sixty-Six

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Brandon, I want to show you something," the guy said. Brandon nodded his head and started to head off, but he suddenly looked back over his shoulder, remembering that I was still here. 

 "Find Nathan, now, okay," he called out with a wink before turning to leave.

Again the look he gave me yielded a weird kind of suspicion inside my stomach. What had Brandon told Nathan...

The thought could barely linger in my mind for a second before I felt a hand grip my waist and swing me around to face them. Immediately, I came face to face with a visibly stressed Nathan, those bright eyes of his darting between mine in panic. 

"Nathan? What's wrong? Is-"

"Come on, we need to talk," he said as he suddenly grabbed hold of my elbow before steering me away.

 After worming through crowds of people, he finally pulled me into a quiet bedroom at the back of the flat. My ears relaxed under the silence of the air as the door closed behind us, and muffled the energetic beats of the speakers.

I stood by the bed in confusion and watched as Nathan ran a stressed hand through his hair several times while pacing around the room like a certified mad man. It was like he had completely lost the plot.

"Er...what is going on?" I sang awkwardly, not sure whether to find his behavior scary or amusing.

He snapped his head over to me, ran a hand over his head again, and was about to say something but then paused. "Wait a second, you're drinking?" he questioned, his eyes drawing to the can of beer in my hands.

"Erm...yes. Is that a problem?" I snorted, confused why he was acting this way. My words barely rested in the air for a second, before he came over to me and slapped the drink out of my hand.

I gasped as the drink splashed all over the floor, causing little droplets to splash all over my legs. "Dude, what the hell?" I yelled out in shock.

Nathan let out an exasperated sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Well, I'm sorry, but you know someone that is in your situation shouldn't be drinking," he scoffed, looking up at me as though I was insane.

"You have a problem with me drinking?" I laughed. "What the hell Nathan? You drink a shit ton more than I ever could?" I cried, hardly able to believe the hypocritical words that were coming out of his mouth.

"Well, my drinking habits only affect me, don't they," he snapped.

I stared at him with a tilted head, so confused by everything he was saying. He was acting like he was on drugs.

"Nathan, have you been smoking anything weird?" I asked slowly, eyeing him in the same demeanor as one might a mental patient.

"What? No!" he explained quickly. "Look, this is getting off-topic; we need to talk about this, Sophie, okay," he said, his voice coming out shaky.

"Well, it would help if I knew what you were talking about...," I snickered.

He rolled his eyes. "Sophie, I know, okay! Brandon told me everything! He told me you've been feeling sick in the morning, and..and that you've missed your, you know...," he said as he nodded his head down below my waistline. "I can't understand why you wouldn't tell me. Yes, I'm mad at you, but that doesn't mean I would abandon you. What kind of guy do you take me for?"

I stared at him blankly, getting more and more concerned for his sanity by the second. Then suddenly, realization hit me like a thud to the head. I knew what Brandon had said. He had told Nathan that I was pregnant with his baby.