Chapter Forty-Four

"You owe me one-thousand in cash, Sophie, pay up," Nathan smiled triumphantly as he held out a hand expectantly.

 I looked down at my small stash of paper money nervously not liking the direction things seemed to be heading. We were sat on the living room floor and were two hours into our game of Monopoly. After such a long period, I was more than invested in the game. Heck, I was so far gone that I was starting to see the fake monopoly money as my reality.

I shook my head firmly. "No, I'm not paying shit," I said, staring Nathan dead in the eyes.

His nose crinkled up in amusement. "What the fuck are you on about? You have to pay, you landed on my square," he snickered.

"So?" I shrugged childishly.

 "So, that means you have to pay me. That's literally how Monopoly works," Nathan said simply and slowly. 

I glared at him. "No, it's supposed to work with me winning and you losing. Why the hell are you even good at it?" I bit back angrily.

Nathan's smile grew. "Ooo, someone's jealous," he sang.

"Go to hell," I threw back immaturely.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever, are you going to give me my money or what?" Nathan said as he waved around an impatient hand. 

"No," I snorted.

 The teasing smile on Nathan's face lifted higher. "Alright, fine, I'll happily take it off you myself," he said.

I widened my eyes in panic and immediately dived belly first onto the carpet where my money pile sat. It wasn't my more graceful of moves, but desperate times, called for desperate measures. I heard Nathan chuckle from up above me, and before long, I felt the warmth of his hands on my hips as he tried to flip me around. 

"Come on, accept that you lost," he taunted.

"Never!" I yelled out in a battle cry. 

He paused for a second, and then suddenly, his fingers dug into my sides, and he started to tickle me. 

I shrieked in surprise and started to wiggle like a fool. "No, no, no, stop," I screamed as I struggled for breath.

"Stop, what?" Nathan teased, feigning ignorance.

"Stop t- ti-" I stopped, gasping for breath as the viciousness of his ticking increased. Feeling incredibly weak now, Nathan easily succeeded in flipping me onto my back, and I saw his stupidly handsome face smiling down at me. 

Even though the money was completely unguarded, Nathan seemed far more interested in continuing to torture me.

"So, you think you can steal my money?" Nathan bit out playfully as he moved his fingers over my naked stomach. My top had annoyingly ridden up due to all my wiggling, and Nathan had taken full advantage.

"I-I l-literally can't breathe," I choked out as I shook with laughter.

Nathan chuckled, and slowly started to ease up his tickles before coming to a stop completely. I closed my eyes, relieved that I could finally breathe steadily again. "Learnt your lesson?" he taunted. 

I peeked open my eyes and found him staring straight back down at me with that stupid sexy smirk of his. He was a lot closer than I thought he would be, and I definitely didn't expect his hands to be placed on either side of my head.

With my chest still rising and falling dramatically, I watched as the amused look in Nathan's eyes slowly started to fade into a whole new kind of expression. Swallowing thickly, his eyes dropped slowly down the length of my body before returning back to my face.