[ nine ]

once mark received the news about donghyuck's condition, he sprinted to the hospital. 

he told his driver to go faster which panicked him a lot but thankfully arrived with safety. he ran to the front desk to ask for the patient's information and thanked the woman who smiled at him with a nod. 

walking up the stairs, worry started lacing in his heart and his chest ached with desperation. yes, mark had left donghyuck alone and was cold to him when they met again. but that was all because mark was scared that donghyuck might not see him as a successful person who he dreamed to be. 

he always showed off his smartness and talent and told donghyuck all about his dream in being this awesome business man who gained and had lots of money for life. but meeting him again as a regular business man, he felt quite ashamed. and he didn't want to present in front of donghyuck that way. 

back to reality, when mark was peeking through the hospital door. he saw donghyuck there, all alone and lonely. he heard music playing which he probably thought that donghyuck had told the nurse to keep it on so he won't feel so empty. his lips tucked up into a small smile as he saw the younger sway his body side to side to the rhythm of the song. mark still couldn't believe that donghyuck grew up so well and was impressed after hearing all the stories about the boy from johnny, his co-worker who had helped him a lot in his business. he knocked on the door which grabbed donghyuck's attention. 

"uncle johnny? did you forget something here?" the boy said quickly which made mark chuckle. 

"uhm bad news, i'm not uncle johnny."

"who the fuck are you?! how did you know my room and why the hell are you here?" with that, mark bursted into a fit of laughter at the voice of worry of the younger. he sighed and calmed down, seeing the boy was covering himself with the hospital blanket and curving into the shape of a ball.  

"it's mark. remember?" 

"m-mark? as in mark lee?!" this time, mark went near the boy and took a seat at the sofa.

"the one and only."

"mark why the fuck are you doing here?" the boy whined and covered his face with the pillow and blanket, not forgetting that his eyes were still covered with bandages. he winced. 

"you look horrible." the ravenette said with a slightly mocking tone which got donghyuck to the edge of crying, if it's possible. 

"look mark, i'm tired, okay? if you're here just to talk bad things about me or laugh at me or even pick a fight with me, the door welcomes you." donghyuck snapped while he faced forward. mark was slightly taken aback by his words. 

"you changed a lot, you know?" the softer voice got donghyuck to slightly calm down from his anger that bursted a while ago, his shoulders slumped down. 

"i don't care. it's part of maturity. and by the way, don't you have work?"

"skipped it. too stressful for me." 

a silence took over the room after mark spoke his part. donghyuck was in deep thought about what happened that could make him like this as well as what wrong did he do to get mark's attention until he skips work just to go visit him. he knew that inside his head, he hated mark. many times he told himself that mark had abandoned him. mark had left him after all of the attention, kindness, and company he gave the older. but that was the past, and donghyuck tried to forget about mark many times. but everytime he passed the orphanage to go to school, he couldn't help but recover all the memories with his best friend. the one cold guy who turned out to be a caring and loving best friend to him. 

just then his heart felt heavy. the traumatic experience of the car crash brought him back to reality. he thought to himself that he was dumb enough to go out in that horrible condition of his that can make him like now. sightless, scared, and like a boy who lost his way in the woods. he felt like he was useless to the world without his sight and he wasn't sure if he could even gain it back after the terrible collision. 

"hey hey, don't cry alright?" mark whispered to his ears after hearing the boy's sniffles and short inconsistent breaths. donghyuck could only give his body up to mark when the latter wrapped his two arms around his petite body. 
"i'm sorry." 

"why are you s-sorry?" the boy replied between his sobs while mark chuckled in reply. 

"i'm just sorry. now, do you want some ice cream? i bought some before i came here." with those words, donghyuck's cry started to soften and he nodded, earning a few taps from mark on the shoulder as the latter left to get some from the plastic bag he brought. 

"here. your favorite." 

"chocolate?" 

"hmhm." the smile on donghyuck's face grew as he felt the cold cup of ice cream on his hands for feeling, with mark taking it back and opening the lid. 

"what are yo-"

"say ahh." the older tried to mimick the people in the orphanage when they were trying to feed donghyuck when he wasn't in the mood to eat that day. donghyuck replied with a small chuckle and opened his mouth, feeling the cold creamy desert entering his mouth over the spoon. he then heard mark hum when he did too, signaling that the desert was what he favored. 
"good?" 

"very." mark chuckled at the soft reply of the younger who wasn't facing him, but he understood him. there suddenly, he felt the need to protect him at all cost. he felt responsible for donghyuck's state and anger for him although he might not show it right now. he felt like donghyuck was his priority. 

"why do you have to be this fragile?" mark muttered in a very soft voice to himself but got the attention of the other. 

"what did you say?" donghyuck said as he tried to turn to the voice. mark let out a breathy chuckle.

"nothing. here, have another bite." 

...