𝘽𝙖𝙗𝙮 𝙉𝙖𝙧𝙖 - 𝘼𝙨𝙥𝙞𝙧𝙚2𝘽

Taking a step back from arranging a final cushion on the window seat, Temari wiped her brow and smiled triumphantly. The walls had been painted a soft green and matching curtains adorned the sliding doors that opened up onto the Nara forest. In the corner, a mobile swung, small deer prancing above a wooden crib. Inside the bassinet a soft blanket embellished with fawns, a gift from Yoshino, was perfectly folded and placed with care.

"This room is so green we might as well put his crib outside in the forest," a voice drawled from behind. She jumped a little, having not expected him to be up at the crack of dawn. He usually slept until the sun was high in the afternoon sky.

"You can thank your team mate for that," she quipped. Not fully awake yet, he rubbed the sleep from his eyes and walked leisurely towards her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and inspected the room more closely.

"If someone hadn't told Ino we were having a boy I doubt she would have set up shop in our home and painted the entire nursery," he smirked.

She tried to be angry with him but the news was still too fresh. They were going to have a little boy! Temari was five months into her pregnancy and at her last appointment the medic had given the couple the opportunity to know the sex. They had discussed the topic many times and had agreed that they wanted to be surprised.

Shikamaru had explained that it would save them from having to deal with troublesome friends and relatives who would try to drag him out shopping. However, when the moment of truth came, Shikamaru politely said "No thanks" while Temari had hurriedly exclaimed "Yes!"

Although he had tried to feign disappointment over their broken agreement, she had plainly seen the gleam of pride in his eyes and how the corner of his mouth had twitched upwards betraying him.

They had quickly told Yoshino who, despite Shikamaru's constant claims that her mother in-law was a terrifying force in human skin, melted into tears. The couple had drastically underestimated the Nara matriarch's ability to keep such news private.

It was hardly a day before Temari was approached by friends and strangers alike in the village who congratulated her on producing a male heir for the future Nara clan head.

"You should get your facts straight. It was your mother who sold us out."

Encircling her arms around his neck she looked straight into his eyes for an honest opinion. "Do you not like the room?"

Temari could almost see Shikamaru back peddling and trying to find a quick way to mend the damage. She almost laughed but she couldn't blame him for his reaction. The last week or so she could attest to being slightly more...emotional than usual.

"No, no, I never said I didn't like it," he protested.

She chuckled at his wide eyes before her own got large with wonder as the baby gave a strong kick. Their close embrace had allowed Shikamaru to feel it as well. Temari had grown accustomed to the light airy fluttering in her abdomen but this kicking was new. Her husband appeared to be in a state of shock.

"Well that's good because he likes it, so we're not changing it." They shared a heartfelt smile before he pulled her towards the window seat.

"Are we just going to keep calling it 'him'?"he questioned, hands exploring the expanse of her stomach as they sat with Temari leaning against his chest.

She had an almost embarrassingly long list of potential names in her mind. Secretly, she had started reading Hinata's baby name books before she herself was even pregnant.

Even her brothers had put in their own two cents. She knew Kankuro's suggestions would never get Shikamaru's approval but she had to see the look on his face when she offered,

"Kankuro Jr.?"

"No." There wasn't even a second of hesitation. Her fit of laughter awarded her with a particularly painful hit from the baby. Sucking in a breath, she winced,

"Okay, definitely not that. Uncles will be having no say in the naming process. So, in all honesty now, what do you like?"

"Well, it is family tradition that a boy's name begins with 'Shika'," he mused lost in thought, "but I also was thinking of paying some sort of respect to Asuma."

"Mm..."

"But you are the one who will be –

"Pushing a small human being out of me?"

He nodded, eyes already showing some sort of apology for the inevitable. Caressing the bump, Temari pondered her husband's words.

She knew it was not so much the tradition of the Nara family as the loss of his father that made him so attached to the idea of 'Shika'. Truthfully, from the moment she found out she was having a baby she had envisioned Shikamaru coddling a little pineapple head Shika – (insert something here).

"What has your mother had to say?" she asked, trying to delay her response. Judging by the aggravated groan, Temari suspected nothing good.

"Take your pick of Ryuu, Masaru or Ren." She could hardly believe her mother in-law would suggest such horrendous names. In fact, she was sure Yoshino had been pulling her son's leg.

Ryuu meant dragon. Masaru wasn't as bad it meant victory. But Ren?! A water lily was not something she wanted associated with her son. She could already see him being pummeled in the academy school yard.

"All of those are horrible. Your mother must not want to influence our decision making, how sweet of her."

"You're stalling," he accused.

"Well...I do like Daichi," it was a strong name meaning impressive, grand first son. "But tradition also means a lot to me and I wouldn't want him feeling ostracized from the Nara because his name didn't start with 'Shika'," she teased. "What about Shikadai?"

Looking into his brown eyes for affirmation she felt a pang of worry when the corners began to crinkle in what she feared was disgust or worse laughter.

"Shikadai," he said softly, as if the boy were in his arms.

In that moment, the nursery was filled with such a serene peace that they both knew any name spoken after would feel wrong. "It's perfect." Turning back towards him, the couple shared a kiss, solidifying this moment in their memories. Sunlight was trickling through the curtains outside, lighting up the green room.

"Are you sure you're okay with not having your sensei's name represented in some way?" she questioned, green eyes earnest.

"Tem, it's like I said. There's not going to be a better name."A flicker of some emotion crossed his eyes. In a move all too familiar, Temari sighed as his hands were brought up into 'thinking position'.

"After all that you're going to change what you said?"

"No, but I think Asuma for the second –

In a move much too quick, Shikamaru had thought, for a pregnant woman. Temari's fist collided with his shoulder and he toppled over onto the floor.

"We will only be discussing number two if my body is not wrecked after this one here," she huffed.

From the ground he grunted before lifting himself up and extending a hand to help her off the window seat.

"Also," she continued, entwining her fingers with his,"the next one will definitely be a girl."