Is This The Life

Jameson

I have never been an anxious man, but I have never had three people depending on me to keep them out of harms way. Scanning the area around me, I chew on the tips of my finger nails, something I have done since I was a child. Reece is currently at our new home in Texas. One twice the size of the one in Washington, and cost me what felt like everything. It was worth every penny spent. He surrounded by close to fifty men who are told to shoot first, then ask questions. 

My target stands, slams down his empty scotch glass and burps obnoxiously before existing the pub. 

"Target on the move," I say loud enough that Robert can hear me through my earpiece. 

"Heard, boss. My men are on his trail now, we will take him back to the building once he's been apprehended." 

"10-4." Is my only response as I pull my phone from my pocket. I have a text from Reece that has a time stamp of forty minutes ago. It's him telling me that he was awake, so I lift the phone to my ear calling him. 

"He baby, how's the hit going?" Reece says in a playful yet groggy tone. I smirk as I stand and look down at my watch. 

"I'm happy to hear you sounding so upbeat. You had a good nap, yeah?" 

"Yeah, Madison just called and she's pissed still but Kylen said he is going to handle it."  I chuckle at that, knowing that Kylen isn't what he seems. He comes off as a timid, odd looking vampire of a man, but he is actually vicious. Except with me. My dick hardens as I think of how he took me in his  ass. He may have been strictly men up until this point, but he kept his ass tight. If I had to assume, he was a top, and he rarely bottomed for any man. Sad case, because that's all he'd be doing for me. 

"Good, hopefully she's not still pissed when we get back. I can't take much more of it." A yawn slips me as I rub my hand down my face. 

"Oh babe, I know you're tired. Come home, lay with me." 

"Can't baby boy. I got shit to take care of. There's no rest until the hit on you and the others is over. That means I have to go through a lot of men to make sure you all are fine." 

"I trust you. Just get home soon. I love you." My heart swells at those three words as I smile to myself. 

"I love you, baby boy. Talk to you soon." I hang up the phone just in time to hear Robert tell me that they got the fucker who is the key to finding the hitmen that have been hired to off my entire lifeline. A smile so menacing crosses my features as I think of all the ways I will torture him to get information. I'm on my way out the door when a down right demonic thought crosses my mind.

Reece wants to know what I do for a living, and I think I want to show him. If he wants me for the rest of his life, then my way of solving peoples problems will have to be something he watches, and knows about. I'm sure he's going to tuck tail and run, but I have to know if that's a possibility now, rather than drag my heart through the mud longer than I have to. So I pick up my phone and make the call that could change everything. 

Twenty minutes later I'm meeting Reece at the double doors of my building. It's night out and he looks nervous, and tired. I only plan on showing him a small amount of my playground before I send him back home to process what he sees.    

"I'm nervous as all get out about what you are wanting to show me." Reece says as he pecks my lips. I intertwine our fingers and pull him towards the elevator. Once inside, I push the down button and Reece groans. 

"What is it?" 

"Going down is never a good sign in a building this large. That means you have some underground bunker type shit, and I'm sure I'm about to see you make someone bleed." I chuckle but look back at the elevator wall that acts a mirror. My eyes go to Reece's arm that is resting against his wounded side. Anger like I've never known resurges in me and I can't get down to the basement fast enough--so when the elevator dings, I'm dragging Reece out. Robert meets me at a steel door and gives me a curt nod before turning and typing in the access coded.

Slowly the door slides open. 

The smell of blood barrels out and I turn in time to see Reece's eyes widen in horror. 

"Oh fuck no." He murmurs but he doesn't let go of my hand as I walk inside. If anything he holds on to it tighter. 

I exhale as I release Reece's hand. The man who holds the key to how long it takes for me to secure my family hangs from the ceiling by his wrist. He's been stripped completely naked, and I laugh as I take in his physic. 

Liam Kelly is all muscle and no dick. Maybe that's why he beats his whores and has more cars than any man could drive in a lifetime. He's a hot shot in Houston and New York, but right now, he's nothing. And soon he won't even exist. 

"Wakey, wakey, Liam. We need to talk." I say as I pat the unconscious mans face. He startles awake and immediately begins to buck against his restraints. Stepping back, I turn to look at Reece. He's across the room, flush against the wall and tears are streaming down his face. He shakes his head when I beckon him to me, and I sigh. I walk to him, and stop when I'm just out of reach. 

"This is what I do, Reece. Right now I'm aiding myself, but people pay me millions of dollars a single month to take scum off the street. I only kill those who deserve it, and if this man does as told, I'll let him free, but not before I blind him and cut out his tongue and take his hands. He'll never be able to tell a soul what happened here, or, he can ask for death. I'll give him that option as well." 

"I-I d-don't w-w-want to be h-here." Reece babbles and I nod. Robert is by his side in a second, ushering him out the room. I already let Robert know that if Reece asks to go back to Washington then arrange it and take him. I won't make anyone stay with me, or around me. Shaking off the slight fear of loosing everything, I turn back to Liam and set out to do what needs to be done. 

Reece

I rush into the house as soon as the SUV comes to a halt. My stomach turns and I make it to one of the many toilets just in time to throw up the contents from today. When I'm able to stand, I'm trembling but a deep voice jolts me to attention. 

"He is a wolf," I look over to see the head of security Robert who is leaning in the doorway. "Jameson's life will swallow you whole if you are not prepared for it. If you want out, you leave now. I have known this young man since he was boy. He has been through enough for two lives. His father was scum who beat him, hurt him, had him do things at a young age, that no boy should do." 

"What? Why are you telling me this?" My voice is shaky as I wash my mouth out with water. 

"I'm telling you because I see the fear in your eyes. That woman of yours, she knows, she gets it, and she's aligned with who Jameson is. Kylen has known Jameson for his entire life, but you--you are weak. You will fold on him and when you do, that woman will go with you and Jameson will rot while Kylen tries to keep him pieced together. If you do that, if you drag this out with no intention of staying, I will hunt you and risk my own life to take yours. Think about that." I'm at a lost for words as I watch Robert retreat, only to hear the front door slam shut. My knees buckle under me and God, I don't know what to say or do. I'm in so much pain from my gunshot wound, but my heart aches now as well.

Robert is right when I think about it. If I compare everyone in our relationship, I am the weakest link. I'm not a fighter, I not confrontational. Don't get me wrong, I'll fight behind and for the ones I love, but I've never been pushed to do so. Now I'm with a man who has enemies in high places, and kills people for a living. My chest constricts with fear for what my life as well as my wife's life could become if we stay. Will the children we have be safe? Will they be able to live a normal life?

No. 

That's for sure. 

They'll be judged for their upbringing, because who has three dads and a mom? But that's not my worry.

 I fear for their lives. 

What if Jameson's enemies aim their anger toward our children? Can he protect them while protecting us as well?

 He's only one man. 

I sigh as I pull myself up so I can go take more pain medication. I've got a lot to think about and before I leave Houston, I'll know if I'll be with three people or just one.