xxxvii. a perfect storm

– Randvi

THE FEROLIND FELT like a ghost ship the remainder of the journey back to Ketterdam.

The crew had only spoken in hushed tones, scared even the slightest noise may make Nina worse. Randvi's guilt hadn't decreased, in fact if anything it only risen with each passing day. She missed Nina's jokes, the way Matthias would stand around awkwardly or look away when Nina said something crude.

It felt like an eternity since Randvi had left the Wandering Isle to join the crew on an impossible heist. She missed Herja and her stern words, all the evenings they'd train under the setting sun besides the sea, and she missed the smell of freshly baked bread from the nearby village.

More than anything she missed having a purpose and a direction.

Her brother had betrayed her, extinguished the flames of hope that had kept her going all these years. Her dreams of a farm somewhere far away with Eivor had been shattered. There was no future before her, no one besides her to give her reason to carry on.

Perhaps she could go to Ravka and train with Nina and the other Grisha, learn more about small science. What would be the point? There were no others like her. She was alone, and she always would be.

Randvi wanted to believe she had Kaz, that no matter what the world threw at her he would be at her side. But Kaz was more interested in kruge and vengeance than happiness and love. She had fallen for the one boy in Ketterdam who could never love her back, who recoiled at the idea of skin to skin contact.

Why was fate always so cruel?

They arrived at Kerch all too soon, dropped the anchor, and began preparations for receiving their reward.

Ketterdam hadn't changed a bit. Randvi leaned against the ships railing, and stared at the chaos of the city. The ports were bustling, cargo being unloaded onto the docks, tourists and soldiers flooding off boats, the mix of hopeful laughter and shouts in the air. The thick smog still lay over the city, even in the darkness.

She hadn't expected to miss it so much. The city was cruel, and it was dangerous, but it had been the only place Randvi truly felt safe. The narrow, dark streets had become her home, the rowdy inhabitants of the Barrel her family.

In the end, she spent the whole night on the deck. Inej had accompanied her for a short while, then Jesper, but all the while she stared at the city lights in the distance. She was torn between wanting to return to the city and wanting to run as far away as possible.

Dawn the next morning was a muggy grey colour. There were no clouds in the sky, no gentle breeze in Randvi's hair or waves in the sea. A heaviness hung in the air, as though a storm were threatening to form but couldn't. A stubborn sky, as Inej had remarked.