- chapter seventeen -

"Holy shit! I can't believe this! I can't believe we did it!" A voice woke me up, shouting in joy.

"What's going on?" I said sleepily, my eyes sticking together, refusing to open.

"We think, emphasis on the think, that we found a boat." Sarah said, her voice rising.

"Really?" I asked, my voice sounded dead.

"Yes!" She laughed a little.

"It's weird. I was growing fond of this place,"

"Mhm," I said tonelessly, my eyes on a lean figure making his way to us.

"What's with the excitement, Princess?" JJ said flatly.

"Nothin'... except that we got a boat!"

JJ nodded and laughed. I looked hopefully at him and he acknowledged me by raising his eyebrows ever so slightly.

My heart swelled.

Progress.

Time.

Maybe we were getting somewhere.

"Do y'all want to come check it out?" Pope's voice said as I looked over to where he was standing.

A slab of wood?

"Our boat is a slab of wood?" I asked, my voice full of confusion.

"No, this is what we found with the boat," Cleo explained.

"Oh,"

JJ stepped in front of me and looked at the wood, examining it.

"Oh, J, you're awake! Pope and I need your help moving the boat." John B said.

"Okay, cool." JJ headed over to John B and Pope, and the three walked away, talking amongst themselves.

"So what do we do?" I asked.

"We should go help them," Sarah said.

"Yeah."

We went to follow them when my ankle bracelet got stuck in a small twig lying in the sand. I sighed and tried to get it untangled when I heard a noise.

I looked up suddenly, my entire body on alert.

Sarah and Cleo were slightly up ahead, and hadn't seemed to sense anything.

But I did.

I sensed something was off and I looked around… knowing what I was looking for - kind of.

Then I saw it. The figure was standing behind trees, fully covered in leaves except for a small bit of brown hair sticking out.

My first instinct was to yell out, but I knew better.

Instead I threw my bracelet off my ankle, and tried to casually run. Really fast.

I couldn't just be seeing things.

What type of coincidence is seeing a weird figure so many times, all when I was alone?

I stayed quiet the entire walk to where the boat was.

When we finally reached, I realized this was the same place I'd been before when I was sitting alone.

"Wait a damn minute," I interrupted the group's talk about a plan.

"Hm?"

"This can't be right. I was here like, two days ago. There was no boat."

"Are you sure?" John B said.

"Kie, why didn't you tell us earlier?" Pope asked, a sense of urgency had taken upon his voice.

"I didn't think much of it, but I'm seeing some figure."

Everyone's jaws dropped as I told them about the person who'd been around for weeks now.

Okay, it's confirmed.

I don't think I'm crazy anymore.

a/n - who do you think the figure is?? watch out for more updates y'all :D