Episode 1: Dark Beginings

Start from the beginning

"Yet.  They're working their way here.  It won't belong before our streets are patrolled by the guards and we won't be able to speak so freely about the queen like we do now.  Not unless you want a free hanging in the town square."

As grim as it sounded, Varian knew she was right.  "Well... I better check on the Meyers.  Make sure they're doing alright."

Leah nodded as Varian waved before leaving.  He returned to the small castle that he and his father lived in.  He hadn't even entered before the sound of horse hooves made him stop.  He turned around to watch as three soldiers came riding into the town.

Varian stepped down from his door steps to get a better look as they stopped at the town square.  Mrs. Meyer peeped her head out of the door and shooed her kids away when she heard the commotion.

"What do they want now?  We barely have enough savings for the town to last the winter," the woman whispered worriedly.

"Who is this town's spokesman?"  The first guard called out.

Varian clenched his fists as he stepped forward.  "I am, sir.  Temporarily as our village leader is out on business."

"Mayor Quirin, you speak of?"

"Yes, sir."

"Went to the capital with a man named Meyer?"

"Well... yes, sir... that is accurate," Varian said, taken off guard by the accuracy of the man's knowledge.

The man handed Varian a sealed letter.  The nineteen year old gave the man a questioning look before opening it.  He didn't make it past the first three sentences before he froze, utter dumbfounded.

The guard didn't wait for Varian to say anything before calling out to the village.  "People of Old Corona!  Let this be a lesson to you!  Those who oppose the monarchy will recieve a similar fate as your leader.  Mayor Quirin, was convicted of treason against the crown as a leader of an underground rebellion and was hung this morning."

Varian held a hand over his mouth, staring at the letter in his hand.  He didn't realize that he was silently crying until Mrs. Meyer set her hands on his shoulders.  She gently led him out of the guards way as well as their reach.

"Meyer is under arrest until he is proven innocent or guilty of being a part of the rebellion.  And that is all we have to bring.  All hail Zhan Tiri, may she reign forever!"

Another soldier got off his horse and set a huge sack on the ground.  Nothing had to be said for anyone to know what it was.  Quirin's dead body.  With that, the three guards took off riding.

Once they were put of earshot, the town went into a quiet panic.  "What are we going to do?  Quirin was our best man at tactics for storing food for winter," one woman said.

Many people said similar things, no one meaning to be heartless or selfish.  After living in the world they had for the past few years, it was survival.  When they lost one of their own, it was about how not to lose another.  Varian understood that, but it didn't ease his pain at all.

"Varian..." Mrs. Meyer whispered.

He wiped the tears away and put the paper in his pocket.  Squaring his shoulders, he pushed back his tears.  He was the leader now and it was apparent that he would have to fill his father's shoes much sooner than either of them planned.

"We're going to build a green house.  It may not help us this winter, but it will next winter.  This year, we're going to have to do our best to scrape by.  We'll have to fight with all our beings, but we're resilient and strong.  If we have to skip the occasional meal, we will handle it.  Until then, I will try to find a solution," he promised.  "Now, everyone back to your work.  We have much to do."