Chapter thirty two: Someone's watching

Start from the beginning

"Yes-" My heart dropped. "I'm coming Amir, yes, yes just give me a second. And to answer your question Ms Brooks, I don't know." I didn't know whether to let go of my breath or continue panicking. "I don't see why out of a population of around four hundred thousand people, anyone would go after you two, especially since you don't even appear wealthy-no one would be following you to steal money from you."

"So then what are you suggesting?"

"I'm going to handle it, you don't need to know."

I was like an active volcano and now I was going to erupt, expelling the fiery lava out of me. "Are you kidding me! Why do you never let me know what's going on?! It's my life in danger! W-what am I supposed to do? Just sit here and hope and pray that no one kills me and Nix? You're just... pathetic." The hot and angry tears rolled down. "I h-hate you. If it wasn't for you, I never- absolutely never would've been in this situation." I pressed the red button on the phone and chucked it across the room. The phone shattered and along with it, so did I.

***

I was back in the kitchen, rummaging through the open fridge door and grabbed a jug of water which I poured in one the mason jars.

"Oh hey, you're back Alley." Regardless of living in an absolute nightmare, I almost laughed at the nickname. As much as I hated it, it had also become something I found comfort in.

I turned around and saw Kaleb and Nix playing Speed. Both kept flipping cards over in their hands and slamming it on the table. Kaleb had pushed back the dining table chair which had collapsed on the floor and leaned over the table, appearing heavily invested in the game while Nix was trying to take slow breaths and work her way through.

I waved at Dhruv and sat next to him.

"I'm going to win again." Kaleb announced, no doubt trying to distract her and it worked.

"Stop! Stop! N-no you're not!"

"I'm sorry Nicky but Kaleb is a champion at this." Dhruv defended his friend. I snorted.

"No!" Nix cried and furiously threw the several cards she had left in her hands on the table and bunched her hair up in fists. As soon as she was going to tug it off, Dhruv pulled her hands away from her scalp and away from her head.

"Trust me, it's not worth pulling your own hair over him, he's just too good."

"Mhm." I muttered softly and went back to drinking my cold water.

I looked up and met Kaleb's offended gaze. He had his arms crossed over and he was glaring at me with intensity.

"What?" I asked and felt my lips quiver a bit, attempting to hide a smile.

"You think that you're better than me?" Now when did I say that. But to be frank, I probably was.

"Mhm." Was all I said again. "Technically I never said that."

"Your tone did suggest that though." Dhruv intervened. "Maybe she is better than you? Only one way to know." He rubbed his hands together in excitement.

Kaleb scrutinized me and began shuffling the cards. He did the riffle and ended it with a bridge. For some reason, I was never able to accomplish that.

When he was thoroughly finished with the cards, he didn't even glance up but gestured to me to come towards the table.

I took a swig of my water and set the jar down on the counter and walked towards him with a smirk on my face.

Kaleb laid the cards down. 2 cards in the middle, 2 on the top and bottom of the middle pair, and two each side of them. Half a stack was in my hand and the other in his. We both picked up five cards each and would replenish them each time we discarded one onto the arrangement.