Chapter 24 - Never Alone

Start from the beginning

"Hello to you too, sweetheart," he teased, pressing a light kiss to my forehead as he invited himself in.

"What are you doing here? I thought you weren't supposed to be back from London until next week?" I questioned trying to keep the nervousness out of my voice.

Jasper had to leave for London a day after we had gotten back from Italy which was relieving as I didn't want him to worry about what was going on with me.

"It was a waste of time," he shrugged before his eyes homed in on the hundreds of moving boxes scattered across the room. "What's going on here?"

"I'm, erm... I'm selling the apartment," I told him as his eyebrows shot up.

"What? Why?" He questioned, genuinely surprised. "You love this place, why would you sell it?"

"Just thought it was time for a change," I folded my arms, averting my gaze away from his.

"Scarlett." He said sternly. "What the hell is going on?"

"Nothing, Jasper," I sighed. "I just decided I want a change, that's all."

"There's something you're not telling me," he accused, narrowing his eyes in suspicion. "Are you leaving town?"

"What?" I laughed before sobering up after noticing he wasn't amused. "No, Jasper I'm not."

"Are you in some sort of financial trouble?"

A lump formed in my throat and I began to sweat profusely.

"No," I replied shakily, feeling my world spinning as I almost slipped.

"Scarlett!" He hissed, quickly grabbing me by my waist before I fell. "Baby, what the hell is wrong with you?"

"Nothing, Jasp," I smiled meekly as he watched me with concern.

"Where are you intending to live if the apartment is for sale, then?" He questioned as he sat me down gently on the chair before handing me a glass of water. "Drink."

I took a small sip of the water before setting it down on the table.

"I was going to rent a cheaper apartment," I shrugged.

"Scarlett, what in the name of God is going on?" He snapped, demanding answers. "The second we get back from Italy, you suddenly decide you want to sell your apartment. And conveniently when I'm also not here, so, explain to me right now what is going on!"

"Jasper, I told you, I just wanted a change," I sighed loudly as he slammed his fists onto the table in frustration. "When those guys attacked you in Italy, I realized that life's too short and I wanted a change, so I decided I would sell up as soon as I got home."

"Why did you not tell me then?" He questioned.

"You were called quickly on business and I didn't want to add to your schedule, especially since we would be miles apart." I told him as he eyed me carefully. "How are you feeling anyway? You recovered pretty quickly from those nasty bruises."

"Don't try to change the subject, Scarlett," he growled, but I couldn't help but smile up at how concerned he was.

"Stop being so paranoid and accept that I wanted a change," I told him firmly as he looked at me briefly before sighing. He placed his hands on either side of my face tenderly as I looked into his eyes.

"You would tell me if something was wrong, wouldn't you?" He asked gently as I nodded.

"Of course, I would." I replied ignoring the thumping in my chest.