Wattpad Original
There are 65 more free parts

confusion

noun ~ lack of understanding or uncertainty

NOVA

I awoke gently, the faint murmurs of talking met my ears. I felt the all-familiar warmth of Phoenix surrounding me as he spoke softly to someone. I inhaled deeply as I opened my eyes and wriggled my toes beneath the bedsheets. I blinked to find myself horizontal and laid between Phoenix's legs, face down with my head on his stomach. I focused on his shirt before looking further and finding Charlie sitting on a chair to the side of the bed, his gaze focused on me. I noticed the conversation had stopped since I began to wake, and I went to lift my head to look at Phoenix when an ache in my shoulder and chest had me pause.

I winced at the movement, confusion washing over me until I remembered the vampires. My heart darted to my surroundings in alarm but I relaxed when I noticed I was back in my room. Phoenix was hushing me, his hands coming to cup my face from where they had previously been laid on my back. He brought my face to him and I blinked in confusion.

"What happened..." I mumbled.

He smiled sadly, "You were bitten."

I licked my lips, feeling thirsty. "I remember that... I passed out?"

He nodded, a faint look of regret covered his face. "Aldren saved you, brought you to me and they injected some of his blood to help heal you."

"It was a pretty nasty wound," Charlie commented.

I turned to look at him from the corner of my eye to see him looking at my shoulder. I followed his gaze, with support by Phoenix, and frowned at my shoulder. It had healed now, thanks to the Lycan support but a jagged pink scar laid across the top and back of my shoulder. It was about three inches wide, and my brain flashed with the image of my bloodied hand. So much blood.

I flexed my arm and fingers before looking back to Phoenix. "How long have I been unconscious?"

"It's the next morning." He replied.

My mouth fell open in a small O, and I looked down to find I was in one of his tops. "Did...did anyone die?"

He frowned but shook his head. "No deaths, just a lot of injured."

"Any...poisoned?" I wondered.

Again he shook his head. "None."

"How come they aren't?"

"It's a myth, but it is lead to believe that there is a difference between changing bites and feeding bites." He shrugged. "Still can release a venom, but they weren't out to kill last night."

"How many were there?"

He glanced to Charlie who spoke. "I killed about seven."

Honey eyes darkened when they returned to me. "About twenty."

"Injured?"

His hands rubbed circles on my knee, from where I sat between his legs. "Only ten."

I let out a breath, nodding my head. "That's not too bad."

"Ballroom full of high ranking wolves, a perfect place to stage an attack." Charlie pointed out.

My head began to ache but I nodded in agreement. "Do we know who is behind it all?"

They both shook their heads and I sighed. I dropped my head to try and place my memories of last night. My mind seemed to blur between reality and dreams, unable to remember it all. I just remember the blurs, the merging of colours looking just like...

"I painted this."

"What?" Charlie snorted.

I looked to Phoenix, with a pointed look. He was frowning at me, trying to figure out what I was talking about. I sighed before opening my mind to both of them and sending the image of my painting. It was the one that was a merge of colours; blurs of browns and blacks with smears of red and grey upon a creamy white background. It had no edges, no outlines as it spread much like the battle in the smog last night.